Lx 470 And Vgrs Actuator/ecu Failure

Trauma Doc

Bought my LX 470 gently used with 16K miles in 2005, 10-15K miles annually, gently driven and meticulously maintained. LOVE MY TRUCK!

At 121,000 miles, the VGRS/VCS lights come on. I read up on it and saw it was usually something minor to set these sensors off, but I saw online that the LS460 had a RECALL on this. LX470 had the Pittman collar for the steering recalled, and I got it fixed last Fall. Concerned, I took my LX470 to the dealer for answers: the problem was catastrophic FAILURE of the VGRS (and ECU thereafter), with a repair cost for the VGRS actuator plus labor at $3800 (part alone was $2729!).

When I spoke with my local service manager (awesome guy), I expressed my concern that this effectively rendered my vehicle undrivable and unsellable! He told me he's seen THREE repairs in 3 years, a rare but costly failure. He went to work on solutions…but so did I. Contacted Lexus Customer Care, reported my complaint and concerns for possible failure related to the recall, the LS issue and recall, and demanded some type of shared cost of repair and help for this.

Lexus and my dealership thankfully came through within 24 hrs: Lexus and the dealer would share the cost of the repair and charged me $680 in labor. After the VGRS was replaced, however, the ECU then failed!…but fortunately they covered the cost AND labor for this as well! Truck is driving great now, but now I have to consider selling it out of concern for "what's next".

Just an FYI for anyone experiencing something similar. CALL LEXUS CUSTOMER CARE and tell them about the problem!

• Like 1

Thanks Allan for the information and heads up. Too many, when faced with an exspensive repair, will just leave the dealer and go home and fume. Believing that its just an example of how a Lexus dealer tries to rip you off.

Yes, their are problem dealers out there, but by far the excellent ones overwhelm the others.

To other members; Like Allan, talk with your dealer about options avaiable to fix your problem. If your not satisfied, call Lexus Customer Care and speak to the people who handle customer/dealer issues. ( go to Lexus.com) Ask you dealers service advisor to talk to the dealers General Manager. If you say nothing and just walk away assuming their out to get you, check your grip on reality.

• 4 months later...

Hello forum members, my name is michael, I have a problem with the ECU, can be the same thing happened to Allan, my truck is a 1998 model lexus lx 470 with 138,000 miles, suddenly began to leak in the throttle travel , initially thought it was the throttle body, and he was injured, I had to buy it again, but was still annoying, they realized that the problem is in the ECU, the fixed and after a week, followed with the same problem, works well while walking no problem, just the turn off and turn back to the path loss occurs throttle again, let it cool and the next day you turn it and it works fine, but the moment you walk and brake warning light hand and when you turn it off again and the same problem, could not figure it out and I'm thinking about changing the ECU, not sure if I'll be doing the right thing. Are saying?. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Alan if you are still on the site we had a problem with vgrs just like your issue. If you would tell us what dealership you worked with in California we would like to contact them. We have had no luck with Lexus customer care. Our Lexus dealership wanted more information.