My Stereo

I think after 2 months (to the date exactly) I have finally gotten my stereo tuned to my satisfaction. I was really disappointed in all the distortion I had. Today I turned off the surround sound. Ahhhh...what a difference that made. My car is supposed to have 18 speakers, but it always sounded like all the vocals were coming out of the center front speaker no matter how I adjusted it. It sounds much better now and I can crank up the bass.

Anybody have any other suggestions that will help me get the volume I want without much distortion?

I guess Lexus didn't expect it's owners to be listening to bands like Godsmack and Theory of a Deadman at almost full volumn. :D

• Like 1

Any audio system has it's design limits. That is to say that the speakers when driven to their maximum handling capacity, will over load the voice coils/motors and cause distortion. This is all detirmend by the original design specifications.

The Mark Levinson system is one of, and some say the best, car audio system. The link below contains information on the newly redesigned ML system being launched this year. However, if you want to listen at ear bleeding levels consistently (lol) You may have to find a way to replace the sub woofer. At the same time you need to work with your dealers tech who knows the system to see if they can help. They won't charge you. It's under warranty.

Paul

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/magazine/articles/Vehicle-Insider/The-Sound-Garden

Thanks Paul. Ear bleeding level is my level for sure and I have the tinnitus to prove it! :cries:

I'm attending that class at my dealership Saturday. I hope there are few enough people there that I can talk with some folks and get some of my concerns addressed.

I wonder where my sub-woofer is and if it is an easy replacement?

Thanks Paul. Ear bleeding level is my level for sure and I have the tinnitus to prove it! :cries:

I'm attending that class at my dealership Saturday. I hope there are few enough people there that I can talk with some folks and get some of my concerns addressed.

I wonder where my sub-woofer is and if it is an easy replacement?

Your sub should be in the rear deck behind the back seat. It is not easy to get to or replace unless your pretty knowledgable about car interiors and audio wiring. I can't speak to the IS with any first hand knowledge since I'm not familiar with the rear seat set-up in the IS. But in the ES for example, You have to remove the upper portion of the back seat and partialy remove the rear deck. It not difficult if you understand the steps you need to take. Do a search here about sub woofer replacement and or sub woofer repair...etc. You should find a post that has stepy step photos of the replacement procedure.

Paul

Remember, I have a convertible. The back deck is nothing but a piece of plastic.

Have you ever watched the top go up and down on one of these cars? It really is an engineering masterpiece! I put it down at a traffic light once and the guy next to me told me that I had a Transformer.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Paul....I owe you a HUGE apology. I just realized that I don't have the ML stereo. I could have sworn my salesman said I did, but when I was on another message board they told me that if it doesn't say ML, it isn't. I just looked at my window sticker and it just says "Lexus Premium Audio System"

Shucks...I'm bummed. You would think that if you got the Nav, you would get the premium stereo system. No wonder I'm disappointed with the sound.

:cries:

No problem. One of the things you have with your premium system, is a three level equalizer. I find that adjusting these setting's makes a big differance in the way the music sounds.Note: If you try to play your system with the bass set a full, you will probably get distortion at high volume.

To improve the presence of the bass and it's deep, smooth transition across the music's range, I installed a small (8"inch), subwoofer in the trunk. I have had people tell me these few, inexspensive changes, have made my "Premium" Lexus system sound better than the Mark Levinson.

The ML is a wonderful system. But at $2700 or so, I kind of swallow hard. There are some technical things about the system that can make it exspensive to maintain. But, it is still rated as one of the very best in auto radio.

Happy Thanks Giving

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have the Mark Levinson and in 2006, I replaced all speakers with Polk; center 2way, 6 3/4" w/ separates in front Polk 6x9 4 ways in back and one Polk 12" DB with PPI 2600 amp. Factory amp for highs. Awesome sound unbelievable lows from one 12". ( I also have F-350 with high end aftermarket everything and 3-12" subs that take your breath away.) But In my 2001 GS430; Lexus ML radio really sends low low low lows to my amp for sub, Hits frequencies so low compared to my truck. Everything is still so CRYSTAL. WOW. Up until 2 weeks ago. Nav screen and radio went out. Looking for factory ones. Maybe upgrade to Cd version so I can leave glove box alone...

I have the Mark Levinson and in 2006, I replaced all speakers with Polk; center 2way, 6 3/4" w/ separates in front Polk 6x9 4 ways in back and one Polk 12" DB with PPI 2600 amp. Factory amp for highs. Awesome sound unbelievable lows from one 12". ( I also have F-350 with high end aftermarket everything and 3-12" subs that take your breath away.) But In my 2001 GS430; Lexus ML radio really sends low low low lows to my amp for sub, Hits frequencies so low compared to my truck. Everything is still so CRYSTAL. WOW. Up until 2 weeks ago. Nav screen and radio went out. Looking for factory ones. Maybe upgrade to Cd version so I can leave glove box alone...

Hi Cameron.

As you know, the ML uses a balanced crossover network. It usually doesn't like speakers that aren't matched like the OE. Was this a problem for you or were you able to do the major make-over with out loosing frequency response from the Polks?

Paul