Auto Shop Advice/best Shocks

So I've been doing a little searching and it seems my 98 lexus needs new shocks. I am a new car owner this being my first car. I plan on buying new shocks for my lexus on Rockauto but dont know which shocks would be the best to get (or if brand really matters?), and does anyone know if auto shops like sears and others will replace the shocks for me if I already purchased the shocks.

I would also like to know if I need to purchase other items for my car besides the shocks. (ex: if i need a coil spring or strut mount)

Thanks in advance for you help.

gangstra1,

Congratulations on your first ride, and a Lexus to boot! (I won't tell you what my first car was, because the laughter will be long and hard.)

Some advice:

Be sure that you need the shocks replaced, and always replace them in pairs, both fronts or both rears, or all four at once. Find an independent mechanic who you can trust to diagnose whether its the shocks or springs, or whether you need both replaced. Check with your friends and relatives to find one. In some cases the springs come already on the strut.

Then, with your final say on which ones to buy, have the independent shop get the parts you need and install them. It will be hard to get some mechanic to put on parts that you supply, when he loses his markup on the parts if he supplied them. It sometimes puts their noses out of joint, if you get my meaning. Some mechanics will not have a problem with you buying the parts, others will. You will have a better experience with the shop, if you let them supply the parts.

Also be aware that the same year Camry V6 has many of the same parts and my be interchangeable, and cheaper to buy.

If your car has the ajustable electronic shocks, be prepared for spending big dollars, as these are only supplied by Lexus/Toyota, but you could change the ajustable shocks over to standard shocks, save a lot of coin, but would lose the ajustability.

Don't get caught up in the brand names with lots of advertising game when buying parts for your car. After all, its already 15 years old and has a lot of miles on it. Buy good quality, but don't throw money away on Royal Purple lubricants, K & N filters, and the like, when lesser brands will do the same job for less money. Save the money for putting fuel in the tank, and that next set of brakes and tires.

Good Luck!

Hi Shadell, and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club. Wer'e glad your here.

If you follow gbhrps excellent directions and advice you'll have nothing but tens of thousands of Lexus luxury.

Aiter you've finished your repairs, come back and let gbhrps and the rest of us khow how things went.

Paul