Rear Passenger Door Lock Not Engaging

Hi All,

I opened my rear passenger door on my 99 es300 this morning and when I went to close the door the lock was not engaging at all. I literally had to tie the door down with a bungee cord to get home to prevent the door from swinging open while I drive.

Do you think the whole lock solenoid (component) needs to be changed or should I open the door panel it and try to repair it?

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this.

Thanks!

topgun921,

Pull the inner door panel and have a look, because its going to have to come off to diagnose and fix the problem anyway.

Once off, you may be able to see where the problem is. Typically, a plastic clip breaks or comes undone and releases the control cable/rod to the lock mechanism. Once replaced, the problem is fixed.

Other problems occur when a spring in the lock mechanism comes undone or breaks, not allowing the latch to lock around the rod attached to the rear door opening. In this case a used latch assembly is the best way to go, as a new one on a Lexus this old will be very expensive, if even possible to get.

In some cases, the latch springs shut into its locked position when the door is open, not allowing it to catch around the rod when the door is closed. By pulling the outside door handle while trying to flip the latch open with a screw driver can fix this problem. Good Luck!