'99 Rx Sway (Stabilizer) Bar Bushings

rx300_99

I've been in auto tune-up mode for the last few weeks with my RX300. One of the last things I've been wanting to do is put new sway bar bushings in, as reccomended by Toyota when getting an oil change, and from the massive amount of Lexus forum reading the last few days (thanks everyone). I have a feeling they have never been changed too.

...anyway, for the life of me, I can't find the size for the bushings, or the bar. All the auto parts sites say there is no exact fit, which I know isn't true, they just don't have the specs. I have read many pages, too many, to not find what I need. I'm hoping someone around here has the specs on hand for the front & rear bushings.

It seems it is a great handling improvement with this upgrade, really surprised the lack of information on this part replacement

Yes it is. I'm sorry I left out hte part I was looking to put in after market bushings that are made out of polyeurothane (& possibly with grease valves). That is why I need the actual size. After posting, I fiddled aorund with the year, and the part is the same for 99-03, which I thought would be the case. Still no auto site has the replacement size in their systems.

I'm assuming you know that the poly bushings make the ride stiffer, not as comfy?

you should surmise, not assume. cause i was just made an a55 of. actually no, i wasn't aware, but does make perfect sense. i was thinking it would be a similar ride because they are the original bushings & have gone though 12 winters, and would be brittle & not as soft as new ones (so similar to a stiffer polyeurothane).

price for the lexus rubber bushings were about the same as the energy suspensions ones, plus they have a grease fitting, so thought they would be the better choice. perhaps not now.

i suppose the rubber ones lasted this long, & I highly doubt I will have the vehicle much longer than another 1 or 2 years. What are your thoughts on only putting the PolyE on the rear, new rubber on the front? I don't even think I could get front ones that fit after looking at the factory bracket (looks like the front bushing sits on a riser with the bracket around both)

I did use a crescent wrench to crudely measure the bars, and the front is ~14.5mm, and rear is 16mm. surprised the auto shop didnt have a caliper tool.

thanks so much for your responses. much better than the auto stores I have visited.

The poly bushings are favorites of the off-road guys. I definitely would not mix poly and rubber, and if I were (subjunctive) to replace the bushings on my RX, I would go with rubber.