Downloading Pics For Nav Screen Via Usb

I have been trying without success to download pictures via USB drive for the nav screen to display when the nav is turned off. The system is supposed to accept up to 3 pictures. I have followed the instructions in the owner's manual regarding names for the folder the pics are put into on the USB drive very closely, and although the system recognizes that the USB is plugged in, when I click to download them, the system says it can't find them. Has anyone experienced this problem and solved it? I also can't get the system to play music files from the USB drive. Anyone else have that problem?

Since you are having multiple problems with USB memory, my suspicion is that it is not of a type or is not formatted in an acceptable manner. See page 279 of your navigation manual for information about acceptable formats.

Hi Paul and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

I'm glad you posted this problem because I had never heard of this application. With my 2013 owners manual at 908 pages and the Nav. manual at 421 pages, I have switched to a "As Needed" mode.

As I read the instructions in the manual and follow the steps you took, I think Jim is probably on the right track. However, the formats on page 279 appear to apply to audio. On page 56, the format for a USB is either JPG or JPEG and the file names are case sensitive which I sometimes forget.

Sense the system will not run either music files or the app in question You may want to call or drop in to your dealer for some help. Your warranty covers this if there is something wrong with the software in the head unit, or a bad USB port in the center console.

Paul

I solved my own problem. After much experimenting I found that the download worked if the file name of the image to be downloaded is EXACTLY 32 characters in length, as opposed to UP TO 32 characters as the owner's manual states. I made the length of the names of 2 images 32 characters long, in one case counting the . between the name and the file extension as a character and for the other image not counting the . as a character. The image with the dot counted downloaded. I then removed the USB stick, took it back to my computer, removed one character from the name of the image that did not download, plugged the stick back into the USB port on the car, and the renamed image then downloaded also. Sounds as if a programmer made a slight error in writing the code for this function. I have sent an email to Lexus customer service. I wonder what kind of response I will get.

I have been trying without success to download pictures via USB drive for the nav screen to display when the nav is turned off. The system is supposed to accept up to 3 pictures. I have followed the instructions in the owner's manual regarding names for the folder the pics are put into on the USB drive very closely, and although the system recognizes that the USB is plugged in, when I click to download them, the system says it can't find them. Has anyone experienced this problem and solved it? I also can't get the system to play music files from the USB drive. Anyone else have that problem?

I had the USB music issue when attempting to play songs from my USB with itunes data. I found that to play music on our system the music must be converted to MP3 format from the itunes data. In other words, you would open itunes, select any music you want to transfer to USB, and convert it to MP3 format. Once I did this it worked beautifully. I also made seperate folders for each artist or category of music on my PC for transfer to the USB drive. As far as the video I cannot help you.

Glad to hear that you resolved your app. And thanks for posting your fix with everyone else so we can all learn.

Regarding the USB and itunes/mps files. It is rather odd that the Lexus audio program is mainly centered around Ipod applications but you have to convert their files to mps as bc6152 stated to use a USB drive.

Paul

• 1 year later...

I tried the 32 character thing, no luck. The audio player can read my MP3 files, but the "Customize Images" menu can't see my images.

USB flash drive, FAT32 format

a single folder named Image

jpeg files with ASCII names 32 characters long.

(tried less than 32 characters, tried .jpeg and .jpg extensions, tried inside and outside the folder, tried a folder named Images instead of Image.

No luck.

2015 RC350 FSport. (Got it Friday, first one sold in California!)

• 1 month later...

Regarding the 32 character requirement: the . and the extension have to be counted as characters. If your extension is .jpg, the you need a file name preceding the . that is 28 characters. That is what worked for me.

In my IS there is a flip down cover that exposes a slot for a micro SD Chip. Never tried to do anything with this function. Now, thanks to all of you, I will have to waste a bunch of time playing with the setup. Spending time doing this while my wife would prefer me doing Christmas stuff will most likely cause me to drink. Then we will see just how great this feature is in the long run.

Merry Christmas