Egr Valve Engine Light On

My engine light was on for couple of weeks until I checked it, the codes are:

-P0401 (EGR insufficient flow, faulty EGR, blocked EGR passages)

-P0772 and P0773 (SHIFT SOLENOID "e" ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION-ssv dsl)

These are the 3 codes and their descriptions, my mechanic removed the engine light and advised to come back if the light pop back on.

Well, it did come back with the same codes.

I don't drive much (5-10 mi/day) and being a college student i try to fix only what is necessary. The car drives fine, no symptoms of any sort (besides leaking transmission and stearing gaskets).

What is the EGR valve?

what are the downsides of not replacing it?

Do these codes represent any concern?

thank you.

Seems like besides the loss of fuel economy, NOX emissions and inability to legally pass the annual inspection, the malfunctioning EGR valve otherwise is not so critical. Unless I have come to a wrong conclusion.

thx for the link

• 2 weeks later...

well your egr valve is right there close to your throttle and has to do with your vacuum system. If you have lot's of time you can take off your intake ( 2 bolts 2 nuts) take off your air intake hose, take off your grounds which is two and your egr valve which is held by to nuts. chances are you got lot's of carbon build up in there and can clean it out with anything that you can stick in there to scrap off the hard carbon build up. Then make sure your connectors to the egr is firm and not loose. your shift solonoid is right on top of the transmission, you got two their one is close to the fire wall which is the vechile speed sensor and the one we talkin is right there a lil beneath the thermostat housing.... maybe your connections are loose but best bet is to get another sensor... run like 80$ maybe cheaper online. easy to take off ...just one bolt hold it in more of a plug and play....good luck