Airbag Off Light

Hi guys,

I have a 2008 RX400h and all of a sudden the Passenger Airbag Off Light, right below the nav screen, and the SRS light on the driver display screen are on steady all the time. Also, disconnecting the passenger seat belt does not turn on the light or sound the beeper.

Anyone know what this might mean?

The car has less than 50k miles but we are over the four year mark for the warranty so unless there is a special warranty for safety items I think this is going to cost us. The dealer wants almost $200.00 just to look at it.

Any help woul be appreciated.

Thanks...RC

This is not very common, but it has happened to a couple of RX owners in the past:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/66896-passanger-air-bag-ligt-on-all-the-time/

I believe that if you place an object that weighs in between a certain range, the airbag for that position will deactivate, since a small child could be injured by the airbag. It could also be that the airbag deplyment force is variable, depending on the weight of the passenger. Is there anything on that seat when the light is illuminated?

Thanks Rx400h. I had already read that thread, but didn't really find anything useful for my purpose.

As far as your question, "Is there anything on that seat when the light is illuminated?", the answer is yes, that would be me most of the time, and I weigh in around 250, so I don't think that too light a weight factor is the issue.

Also, as stated before, while my wife and I are driving down the road and I unbuckle the passenger seat belt, neither the seat belt light nor the beeper comes on to alert us of the condition. I know that the air bag and seat belt work together in the system but I'm unsure of which is the cause and which is the result.

Sure wish this had happened a few months ago while still in warranty...arggg. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Took the car into the dealer and about an hour later they called me to say that it was finished. I asked what they found and they said the ECU just needed to be recalibrated, which they did for no charge. I was pleasantly surprised with the way it all happened. When I asked why it was no charge the CSR said that he felt it was a safety issue that the customer should not have to pay for. I thanked him and drove away happy. :)

Great customer service at Serramonte Lexus in South San Francisco. Highly recommend.

Randy