1991 Ls400 Wont Crank After Stater Replace.

superman8589

well I rremoved bolt off relay panel so I can turn over and used multimeter and had wife turn key this is highest I got first time I did it it got 10.5 and then wen I redid it and had wife doing again I toom video and took screen shot of highest it went up to..

20130709_193306_19096_zps7503a647.jpg

Well, you have the + and - leads reversed on the meter but that's ok. Since the engine does not run, have you been trickle charging the battery periodically? You do not want to let the battery get too low before a recharge or the battery can be damaged internally. The 11.23V reading is low indicating that a recharge is needed.

Battery should read at least 12.50 VDC to start, turn the engine over. Existing battery might have a dead cell if it goes below 12.5 after a few hours with no load on it. Usually you can see the numbers descend slowly on your Multimeter after the car has been turned off if it is a dead cell. I have used this method 100 times to diagnose whether or not it is the battery or alternator. This test has always been 100% accurate in determining a failed battery.

the original battery has a dead cell I use my battery off my car eaxh time to try turm it over.. do u think that using my battery could trigger it not turning over? and ah lol opps I just realized that lol

I should have mentioned, on your new Multimeter, put your black lead at the bottom of the device where it says "Com". I don't know how you ever got a read from the way you installed the leads to begin with. You could of damaged the meter.

jz

ill change it and try again.. lol ya its just a cheap multimeter from harbor frieght they had a special it was 5.99 lol.. but ya ill try rhat again to see if picks up anything different and ya battery like stated before im using one out my running car each time

so does it run now ?

did u check the am1 fuse?

any of the injector plugs left off? if one is off i will not start

and wen u say it clicks is it a loud click like from the starter or a click that sounds like the relay clicking

• 3 weeks later...

sorry my phone broke and that was my only way on here for mean time no internet at home, but hot phone on andno car still doesnt run I did it again and still got low read... I have checked grounds hmm so u think might be a alternator? and worst of all news finally came in I received a notice stating car must be running to be here and either must be fixed or gone off property :/ I have a week

I just rebuilt the starter in my 1999 and when I put it all back together, it wouldn't start. It turned out that I forgot to reconnect the solenoid wire connector (this is a plastic connector, not the main power wire that is held on with a 14 mm nut).

Before I took it back apart, the starter relay would click and there was a whirring noise coming from the starter (perhaps it was spinning - I don't know). Anyway, it sounded kind of funny and didn't stop until the key was turned all the way OFF. After I reconnected the solenoid connector, it works great!

Good luck!

sorry my phone broke and that was my only way on here for mean time no internet at home, but hot phone on andno car still doesnt run I did it again and still got low read... I have checked grounds hmm so u think might be a alternator? and worst of all news finally came in I received a notice stating car must be running to be here and either must be fixed or gone off property :/ I have a week

the alt has nothing to do with no start

the ALT just charges the battery

if your battery is at 12.6 volts and it still doesnt start then you have another problem

so if you checked the fueses and relays and there good then, your gonna have to test the starter and check the solenoid

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

If you still have the car, you probably may want to follow the information in this thread: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/77820-alarm-tripped-now-car-wont-start/

In his case, it was a second lead from the battery positive terminal that was not connected. Not sure if it applies to your issue, but worth checking out.

• 2 months later...