Ct200H: How Good Is This For Hwy Drive

chelrosem

We test drove one yesterday, and quite frankly we are so close on pulling the trigger for this one. However, I will be using this to commute for 180KM~ish two way. I've received comments/feedback in general that hybrids are not ideal for majority HWY driving since it was designed for efficiency on CITY driving, but I want to know the opinion of those who do own it and how well it performs. For my scenario, is this a good choice? We also considered Audi A4, Mercedez-Benz C250, and Honda Civic.

Cheers!

• Like 1

My wife and I drove this from Seattle to Vancouver B.C round trip, stay two nights, drove around in Vancouver, and still left some gas in tank when we got home. :D

I drove 70 - 80 MPH, and get 42 MPG for this trip, way better than I expected.

Plus, I believe Lexus has best quality ATM.

• Like 1

I have no problem getting up to cruising speed, or maintaining speed on the highway. The car is comfortable and quiet. You don't need to blast the radio to hear it. I use mine to commute a 55 mile round trip, so you're going farther than I do, but it's an enjoyable drive. I spend a lot of time looking at the "gas meter" and easing my foot off the gas. I find that I tend to drive at or 5 mph below the speed limit, which is not my normal practice. It's just a calmer driving experience. I'm doing it for gas mileage, not for speed from point to point. I'm very happy with it.

larry

• 2 months later...

If there is one word to describe this car its zippy. This car will easily maintain 75 - 80mph on the highway. Acceleration is decent but if you need faster acceleration the sport mode works best. This car preforms wonderfully on both the highway and on those winding back roads. Weird for a hybrid but I think this is a really fun car to drive. I find myself constantly checking the mpg on the information screen. My Driving has changed for the better since I got the car, I love trying to play the game of trying to beat my current mpg record. Also I find myself no longer in a rush anymore, I dont push the car that hard, and I give myself plenty of time when I'm going somewhere. When I get off the highway I let gravity do its job and run the car on electric mode. From the highway It takes me 5 minutes to get to the house and it runs on electric the whole way there. Driving on the highway you really feel well grounded in this vehicle, when I want to overtake I stick on the sports mode and let it fly; what can I say the car goes. I just got mine over a month ago and a tank of fuel lasted me nearly half the month just going to and from work. I love this vehicle it gives me that sporty, fun to drive feel that I like as well as superb gas mileage. It also has plenty of preformance available when needed. Yes this is a great city car, and yes it's god car for gettng you from A - B, but god damm it as an overall package it is simply outstanding. Great gas mileage - the best in its class, masses of modern technology, Lexus renowned Luxury and reliability, great safety features, and all at a low MSRP. Sixty bucks pretty much lasted me the whole month going to and from work. It's a good looking car also i have gotten plenty of comments about the front grill and LED daytime running lights. For anyone serious about owning a luxury vehicle or wanting to enter the luxury market, this car is a fantastic as start off point, a spring board for something better, or who knows? This member may not part with his!!!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I shuttle between Phoenix and Palm Springs every several weeks....CT has almost 30,000 miles. It is quiet, responsive, and a very comfortable drive. Love the car!!

I shuttle between Phoenix and Palm Springs every several weeks....CT has almost 30,000 miles. It is quiet, responsive, and a very comfortable drive. Love the car!!

And what is fuel economy/MPG on those trips?...

Yes, 80ish is normal cruising speeds in northern CA too.

Thanks for report, excellent MPG.

I had the CT200 loaner overnight and I was pleasantly surprised by how good the powertrain was. Smooth, adequately quick, responsive, quiet, with great efficiency.