2006 Gs 300... Time For Some Upgrades!?!

Hi All! I have been a long time owner of the GS 300 (98, 02 and now 06). Over the past few weeks, I have test-drove several cars in an effort to find my wife a new vehicle. After test-driving a newer 5 Series, it got me thinking about doing some performance mods to my car. I have about 2-years left before I upgrade to the new GS and if I can do a few things to recreate that initial excitement of driving a new car… some performance upgrades might be worth it. I have never really done any mods to my cars with the exception of rims and tires. I don’t want to try and turn me GS into a BMW and I don’t expected to get a 50 HP gain and I certainly don’t want my GS to sound like a Harley. I would just like to get my Gs a bit more punch with a strong quite sound.

I have between $1000 - $1500 to reinvigorate my GS. My thoughts were to install a (true) cold air
intake and new exhaust system. Finding recommendations, however, is a bit more difficult then I expected... I can't seem to find any definitive info for upgrades on my Gs. I have read tons of forums, review, posts, etc.... and for some reason the 2006 GS 300 doesn't seem to have much available in terms of intakes and other mods (mostly intakes thou). I have found tons of info for other GS years and models but the 06' GS 300 seem to be a bit of a black hole…

So with all that being said… Can you guys provide me some input or point me in the right direction. I am curious to know if maybe parts from another year / model GS will work on the 06’ 300? Is there anyone out there who has done some similar things to their 06’ GS 300? And finally…do my thoughts of doing intake and exhaust even make sense or are there other things I should be considering?

I apologize if these seem like dumb questions but i am sort of stuck at this point… Thanks in advance for any input you provide!!!!