Used Rx400H Questions

Can't answer your specific question, B5Bill. My '06 AWD hybrid now has about 155,000 miles on the odometer and is running just fine. No problems at all. Well, I'm going to have to tighten the driver's side sun visor for the second time. That's anoying. Otherwise, nothing.

I've been getting, (usually), between 24 and 25 miles per gallon with regular grade fuel. Most of my driving is over the mountain from the desert where I live into the Los Angeles basin for work. I'd be happy if a set of tires lasted me 40,000 miles, but I guess that's the price I have to pay for driving a heavy vehicle over twisty mountain roads.

Thanks for responding. I understand that inverter or battery failure is uncommon (although a recall indicates more common than we'd hope) - but the repair cost ($10K?) is such that it drastically changes the economics of the purchase. Back of the envelope, it would take 14 years of gas savings (at $5/gal) to pay back that kind of expense vs. the RX350. If my numbers are off, let me know. I do see used items on eBay for significantly less, but I don't know about the labor cost or quality vs. dealer.

It took us no more than 6 years to benefit from our RX400h purchase over a non-hybrid. With fuel prices consistently at or above the $4.00 mark, a 40+% increase in fuel economy really pays off, especially if you do as we do - keep each car, at least 10 years. Our RX has been trouble-free for over 9 years, making it the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned.

One thing I was wondering is how long the ICE runs from a cold start to get everything warmed up. I have a relatively short commute so I'm curious how much of it would be in true hybrid mode.

It runs however long it takes to get the engine coolant up to approx 157°F, or longer if you are using the heater or accelerating over 42 mph. On a short trip under 5 miles, you will not get much benefit from the hybrid system, unless it's already warmed up or warm outside.

It runs however long it takes to get the engine coolant up to approx 157°F, or longer if you are using the heater or accelerating over 42 mph. On a short trip under 5 miles, you will not get much benefit from the hybrid system, unless it's already warmed up or warm outside.

Hmmmm, that makes me think. My work commute is basically 5 miles and change.

Short trips tend to allow moisture to remain in the oil. Therefore, either taking longer trips during the weekend or changing the oil more often is recommended.

Just a maintenance update on my 06 since my last post on this thread a year ago. I just got mine back from having the Toyota dealer change my timing belt for the second time. This time did the water pump too, which they said was now weeping. No visible wear to the timing belt after 90K miles on it. Cost was $750. I'm now at 182K miles and have only changed the starting battery and tires in the last year. I have a wheel bearing beginning to whine. That maintenance is coming up and I expect it's a DIY project.

That's good to know. You have double the miles on your RX than what we do, so it's encouraging that we can enjoy many more miles of efficient motoring.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after some more waffling, and test driving a newer CR-V, I finally bit the bullet. 2006 Lexus RX400h, crystal white. I found one with 47K on it and had to jump at that opportunity. Now that I know that the inverter recall is a straight replacement (not just inspection) and I could confirm which VINs qualify, I'm comfortable with an '06.

Only complaint so far is the voice prompt lady is hard of hearing.

Me: "Navigation" Her: "Rotating map"

Me: "Directions" Her: "Changing discs"

Like Siri and Google ghost, any background noise can create confusion. I'll have to admit, though, that our 2014 Mazda 3 AI lady has better "filtering" ability than most phone and vehicle AI personnel. I am looking forward to Catana in my phone. She is said to be a step up in intelligence, compared to all others.