Dealer Misinformation

expilot

I took my 2004 RX-330 in for service at my family's mechanic shop for a complete servicing. A month later I took it into the Lexus dealer for a floor mat recall. He said my brake fluid and power steering fluid needed immediate change as they were dirty/contaminated. He also noted the crankcase rear main seal had engine oil seep and needed repair. Total estimated repair bill was $2,559.14. I sent the store manager a letter explaining the two fluids had been changed the month prior and a photo of the supposed engine oil seep area-which was clean. I explained this was a scam and I was suprised, disappointed, and bewildered that a Lexus dealer would do this kind of scam. I received no reply or answer in any way.

Larry Durbin

Bewildered? This seems to be standard operating system at my local Lexus dealer - SUPERIOR LEXUS OF KANSAS CITY - but I've seen similar behavior at other dealerships many times in my nearly 50 years of car ownership.

I've been dealing with the Lexus dealer scammers off and on - mainly off - for over 22 years. I honestly think their service writers must have to meet quotas or work on commission - otherwise I don't think I would have heard so many tall tales over the years.

I won't repeat my entire rant still again on this forum but my "favorite" was when a Lexus dealer service manager literally blocked me from having my car towed to an independent repair shop for a second opinion. Suddenly the $1,000+ repair he wanted to do turned into a charge of a few dollars. These guys have no shame.