Ls 460 (2007) Reset Computer After Battery Change

Battery changed by AAA in home garage due to failure. Could not jump start. After change all warning lights stay lit on dash with message "take to dealer". Surely this can be corrected without visit to dealer. Car functions perfectly with the exception of "brake hold" which will not activate.

Appreciate help plus advice.

Thanks John Margo

Thanks. Possibly I did not make my case clear. A new battery installed by AAA technician at my house. All functions of car operate normally except for dashboard warning lights. Battery installation only 2 cables & surely AAA tech ability sufficient for this. Could a computer reset be required? Now scheduled appointment with Lexus dealer which will be costly for sure. All of this caused by a simple battery change out.

Thanks again.

Perhaps I did not make my comment clear. Some new batteries are defective. Some new batteries are not adequately charged. Computer reset occurs when a "good" battery is disconnected for a few minutes and then connected and the ignition is turned on (you can turn the ignition on without starting the car by not depressing the brake).

Battery installation only 2 cables & surely AAA tech ability sufficient for this.

You're expecting complete competence from a minimum wage tow truck operator? I recently read on another Lexus forum about how a tow truck operator serverely trashed a Lexus LS electrical system when he reversed the jumper cables while jump starting the engine.

It's pretty common to have to do a reset after a battery change but 2000 was the last model year in which the LS owners manual told how to do it.

I don't see anything in the 2007 LS460 owners manual that says there has to be a reset to get all the warning lights to work after a battery change but the owners manual is huge and I could be missing it. There are instructions on this forum on how to reset the VSC light for the LS430 with a paperclip on two OBDC terminals but I wouldn't recommend trying it on an LS460.

Maybe it's not progress as far as car owners are concerned but there seems to be a trend for things like resetting automotive systems to have to be done with electronic diagnostic tools. Your statement that "Surely this can be corrected without visit to dealer" is not necessarily the case.

Jeff - your reply on target. Just returned from dealer who said probably battery had low charge. Solution was to just reset computer but no charge given to battery. To me this conflicts. My analysis says old battery low charge caused computer problem & installation of new battery did not reset computer. Statement by dealer that LS 460 very sensitive to battery changes probably the problem. Fortunately no charge to reset computer and memory did not need to be restored as all settings saved.

Thanks for your response. Just one other item this battery the 4th to be installed in car including the original battery when purchased. Other 2 replaced by Lexus free of charge.

Venny - Your multiple battery replacements are likely related to a defective driver's door sensor switch - the switch that senses when the door is opened and closed. There have been many reports of these switches being intermittent, especially not sensing when the door is opened. If the ignition is off and the headlights are on when this occurs, a normal sequence when you are parking and exiting your car at night, then the headlights will not extinguish automatically, resulting in a deep discharge of the battery. And, this condition presents a serious safety concern as it defeats the warning feature that alerts you when you are leaving the car with the ignition running.

Replacement of the door sensor switch is not expensive. If you need additional information about the door switch issue I can help you with that.

Jeff: Please send additional info on door sensor switch. The alert wen leaving car & ignition running does operate but the lights at time do not turn off promptly & must turn off manually. Can this sensor switch be replaced by the likes of myself? Have turned off automatic headlight feature & now just the running lights turn on & off with ignition.

Thanks for your assistance. Venny

Check these threads for a better explanation about the defective door switch:

http://www.clublexus...t-wont-set.html

http://www.clublexus...urning-off.html

I am unable to locate the instructions for replacement tonight. I will look some more tomorrow. It is an easy DIY and probably not expensive at any Toyota dealer. You probably should replace the switches on all four doors.