Transmission Fluid

hi i was wondering if anyone can tell me how much transmission fluid i need to flush the whole system out. i was told only to buy 2 quarts then the mechanic told me i need 15 and when i called the dealer they told me only 7. this is for a 97 sc 300 thank you so much.

15 quarts is for SC400 TYPE-T. Check your owner’s manual or someone else can look at theirs. If you are just draining, check and see how much it drains and put little less than what was drained and add more as needed. Or just take it to a shop with flush system like that of the BG system and have them flush out the transmission. Drain and fill is not really a good solution since much of the fluid is kept inside the converter..

hi i was wondering if anyone can tell me how much transmission fluid i need to flush the whole system out.

Drain the transmission oil pan. Measure the amount drained in an orange juice pitcher (99 cents at Walmart) and and the same amount of new fluid. Use this factory original fluid http://www.saber.net/~monarch/typet.jpg With the engine idling, shift slowly though all the gears, ending in Park. Check the transmission dipstick and make sure the fluid level is within the "cold" range. Drive car 10-15 miles and recheck fluid level. It should now be within the Hot range. Over or underfilling risks damage to the transmission.

If the drained fluid is chocolate brown or black from neglect or overheating, change the fluid using the procedure outlined above a total of 5 to 7 times over a period of days or weeks. During the last drain, drop the transmission oil pan, clean the magnets and metal filter screen in kerosene or brake cleaner and reinstall.

Beware car repair shops, including some Lexus dealers, will push "transmission flushing" very hard because they make big bucks selling these $120 jobs instead on $30 oil pan drain and refill jobs. They also will push using an aftermarket fluid instead of Toyota fluid because the Toyota fluid is more expensive for them to buy. However, no Toyota / Lexus factory repair manual or technician

training manuals recommend or endorse "transmission flushing" and they all adamantly advise against ever using an aftermarket fluid.

On other Toyota forums some owners have reported trainmission failures soon after these "total fluid replacement" jobs or transmission slipping or rough shifting after installing aftermarket fluids, including synthetic fluids. One shop owner even discontinued offering flushes because the risks outweighed the benefits in his judgement.

It is my understanding that a simple drain can be done on 2 quarts, i dont know about the 7 or 15 quarts for a full flush though. I am draining my 1992 this weekend or the next, i will let you know how much drained.

I just had a power flush done at the Toyota dealer and it cost me $130 + $20 extra for the Type T - IV fluid. It worked out great, the fluid was black and smelled burnt before the flush, after it was clean pink and smelled like fresh new fluid - only problem, they over filled it a little, so I have to siphon some out.

I also have a 97 SC3. That tranny takes Dexron fluid, not the Toyota T-IV like most Lexus. Pull out your dipstick and double check. The fluid type will be stamped into the stick.

Not sure about the total capacity. Drain and refill is approximately 2 quarts. New crush washer for the drain plug is pretty cheap at the dealership. $2

Tom