Out With The Es...in With The Gs!

SW03ES

Drove off the lot tonight in a brand new silver/flaxen 2013 GS350 with the luxury package! Had about 7 months left on the ES lease, but this deal was too good to pass up. I'm driving a $60k GS for about $70 a month more than my $40k ES. December to Remember for the win!

I love the car, huge upgrade in terms of solidity and quality...which you'd expect for $20k more. Reminds me of the LS in normal mode, but in Sport + it gets mean!

Pics to come!

Excellent!!! Finally out of the ES series.

I give it 3 weeks for the first speeding ticket!

Drove off the lot tonight in a brand new silver/flaxen 2013 GS350 with the luxury package! Had about 7 months left on the ES lease, but this deal was too good to pass up. I'm driving a $60k GS for about $70 a month more than my $40k ES. December to Remember for the win!

I love the car, huge upgrade in terms of solidity and quality...which you'd expect for $20k more. Reminds me of the LS in normal mode, but in Sport + it gets mean!

Pics to come!

Pics to come!

Congrats on the new GS. It sounds like you got a great deal on the new car. We'll miss you on the ES threads.

I recently traded in our 2010 ES350 (great car-bulletproof) on a 2013 Audi Q5 and so far am enjoying the difference.

Not to worry, I'll be around the ES threads still...

The Q5 is really nice, I looked at one before we got the Jeep. As much as we may love what we got, always nice to have something new...

Here's a quick iPhone pic to get y'all started, I'll take better ones tomorrow.

post-564-0-45858700-1354337195_thumb.jpg

Wow, love the silver with the tan or saddle interior.

Is your old ES330 still in the family, and if so, how has it aged over time?

Congrats, the GS has a ton of "road presence" ... it looks like it owns the highway!

Looks very nice .... ah, "Mercedes Silver" :whistles: ... the Audi style grill is even growing on me. I hadn't realized until I just now looked at the contents of the GS Luxury package that so many LS430 UL-type features had trickled down to the GS - rear audio and side window shades ... finally rear heated seats are available. I noticed that the Lexus Enform now includes Yelp which I consider to be one of the more useful applications.

Is this beast RWD or AWD? AWD is all they seem to sell around here. Did you get PCS with Radar Cruise and any other fun stuff like Keep Lane Assist? Amazing technology. Not that I don't like driving but these cars are getting a lot closer to being able to drive themselves.

This car is going to be great fun.

Yeah the grill is growing on me, I especially like it on the new LS. Yeah it reminds me of my dad's old LS430 UL a lot, same high quality materials, same solidity (which the ES lacks), when you open the door and sit down and shut the door, the body of the car doesn't move at all on the suspension. It obviously rides firmer, but the ride is very nice with the AVS suspension. Its got the rear audio, the sunshades, 3 zone climate. Yep, gotta figure out the Enform and the apps. I was up until 1:30 last night playing with it in the garage.

Its AWD. I would have preferred RWD since we have the Jeep to drive when it snows, but its impossible to get a RWD anywhere in this region, I'd have had to go down south to get it...just as well, from a resale perspective I'm sure that around here the AWD will be important.

Room in the back is a little tighter than the ES legroom wise. The stats actually say the opposite, that the GS has an inch more legroom than the 07-12 ES...but I don't see how they came to that conclusion LOL. I usually lay my briefcase down flat in the backseat...doesn't fit in the GS.

Have you looked at the new LS Jim? Nice...but my salesman says they haven't shipped any that are under $80k, so that new LS for me just keeps getting pushed down the road LOL

So cool! I am very happy for you (and fri.....g jealous) as I know you've been strugling with this for a long time. Wether to trade or not to trade is a worse conundrum than telling your daughter wether she should marry for money or love!?

As of last night, my lowly 2013 ES is in my garage, and I'm busy this morn. wading through the manuals. Speaking of which, The whole "bible" of owners manuals/tech guides, is almost 4" wide. Just the owners manual alone has 908 pages. (I've already filled out my application form for a mid-semester enrollment at Iowa State for Graduate School so I can understand some of this stuff.

I know some of you wondered why I waited for a special order to come from Japan via a World War II supply ship, with only one half of a propeller left. I just wanted real leather, not Nu-Lux.

To Steve and his new toy, you worked hard and you almost live in your car. You deserve it it!!!

p.s. I know any body should know this, but I don't. How do you upload a pic?

Paul

Click the "More Reply Options" button and then the "Browse" button under "Attach Files". After you have the location of your photo in the little box, click the "Attach this file" button to upload it. Repeat as necessary to upload additional photos.

Have you looked at the new LS Jim? Nice...but my salesman says they haven't shipped any that are under $80k, so that new LS for me just keeps getting pushed down the road LOL

No, I have no interest in another LS. After being completely bummed out from test driving an LS460L last year and finding that I liked my 00 LS far more, I'm thinking that my current LS will be the last one. As I mentioned to Paul this morning, I'm hoping my next primary car will be an off-lease Panamera, preferably a relatively modestly equipped V6 (white exterior, of course!) -- I'll let let somebody else take the big depreciation hit like I did on my current LS. Driving the little Smart Fortwo for a month while my LS was in the body shop reminded me how much I miss having a fun-to-drive car. We've got room for only two vehicles at this stage of our lives (i.e. geezerhood) and I'm thinking that a Prius v / Panameria V6 would be a great combo as we skate into the sunset.

Congrats Paul! Yeah I know what you mean about the manuals. Does your dealer have a tech consultant? Mine does. I'm pretty savvy but I'm sure there are some tips and such I could pick up, I'm going to set up an appointment with him and see what he has to offer.

As I mentioned to Paul this morning, I'm hoping my next primary car will be an off-lease Panamera, preferably a relatively modestly equipped V6 (white exterior, of course!)

The Panamera's are beautiful cars!

Drove the GS around some today, got to take it out on the highway for the first time. Rides great! I can't believe I was worried I wouldn't like the way the GS drives. Definately firmer, but the body is much more controlled and stable, and on the highway it just glides effortlessly along, much like an LS does. Super happy camper. I didnt get a chance to snap any pics, it was cloudy here today anyways. I'll do so tomorrow.

Thanks! And I just realized I missed part of Jim's post. No radar cruise or LKA on this, they had one on the lot with all of that but it was $64k. This was already enough more than the ES LOL

I like the last line the best - "they're the best cars you're not driving." If it can win over the euros, then I'd say Lexus has finally dialed up the fun factor of the GS series!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2233336/Lexus-GS-450h-Premier-review-Can-hybrid-really-rival-Mercedes-status-symbol.html

Well, you're buying next, to update the photo!

Thought you were going for the coupe though.... :lol:

post-15797-0-59958600-1354467491_thumb.j

post-15797-0-56472800-1354467508_thumb.j

Click the "More Reply Options" button and then the "Browse" button under "Attach Files". After you have the location of your photo in the little box, click the "Attach this file" button to upload it. Repeat as necessary to upload additional photos.

No, I have no interest in another LS. After being completely bummed out from test driving an LS460L last year and finding that I liked my 00 LS far more, I'm thinking that my current LS will be the last one. As I mentioned to Paul this morning, I'm hoping my next primary car will be an off-lease Panamera, preferably a relatively modestly equipped V6 (white exterior, of course!) -- I'll let let somebody else take the big depreciation hit like I did on my current LS. Driving the little Smart Fortwo for a month while my LS was in the body shop reminded me how much I miss having a fun-to-drive car. We've got room for only two vehicles at this stage of our lives (i.e. geezerhood) and I'm thinking that a Prius v / Panameria V6 would be a great combo as we skate into the sunset.

Thank you very much Jim for the instructions! I feel like a 2nd grader some times when every body else on here seems to know so much. Your like the Shell Answer Man!!. I paid cash for my 2013 with the plan in mind that since I'm retired, and my wife is only a few years away, we'll be able to go into the :good life?" without those pesky payments. In addition, if you haven't sat in the new (Poor Mans) ES350 you, at least I, was suprised at all the previous features that were options are now standard. The car should satisfy my "itch" for a long time since the sucker is so loaded.

Confession, Sometimes I would like to take the mouse/joy stick system, and throw it out the window. I don't see what purpose it serves that the 2010 did not. But thats just one prtsons opinion.

Thanks again Jim,

Paul

SW do you have the paddle shifters? I never would have thought I would have liked them but man they are fun. Could be why I am getting 13 MPG too though! :)

And I agree Paul I hate the mouse/joystick.

Now that you've got a "flabby paddle gear box", as they say on Top Gear UK, you'll never want a car without them. They're addictive, and one of the reasons why I couldn't walk away from the VW brand, specifically the GTI. I thought I wanted a Passat to replace my old gti, but couldn't find one with a realistic price tag that had the paddles. Everytime I drove a car to consider as a replacement for the old gti, I couldn't get used to not having the paddles. I drive my car in "manual" mode 99% of the time. Only time it's in automatic is if my hands are busy crafting emails as I'm mowing down mailboxes and running over kittens... I go up the gears with the lever in my right hand, down the gears with the wheel paddle in my left hand. 'Course, a GTI isn't exactly in the same league in terms of purposeful execution in smoothness overall as a Lexus in general. But having the ability to have complete control of the car via the transmission, without having to wear your left foot out with a clutch, is a fantastic invention for old farts like...um...well I'm not that old...But Steve is! Really old! Like, I need a GS350 to keep my pacemaker going kind've old!