93 Ls400 Problem Search

Be_Kind

The problem with my 93 ls400 started a while back when i would start it for the first time of the day it wouldnt want to idle correctly , If I pressed on the gas it wanted to die but If I just let it set it would slowly build up and idle and run normal after a couple weeks of this it got to where it would splutter a little while driving like I had gotten bad gas or something , this went on for a week or so, We put in a new fuel filter but no change then within a 3 day period it started dying but would start right back up then each time it dyed the distance I would drive got shorter and the amount of time that it took to start back up got farther apart , It dyed as I pulled out of my driveway and wouldnt start back up ... We put in a new fuel pump , It started but didnt want to run , we shut it off , it wouldnt start back up so we took the fuel pump out made sure everything was as it should be and put it back in it still wouldnt start ... At this point I searched this forum got info and located the fuel pump relay and we replaced it , the car started right up and ran for less than 5 mins.dyed and it still wont start and if it does it runs for 1 maybe 2 seconds and dies !

I called to order a ECU from a local auto place (where I got the relay) but was told he didnt have one nor did anyone else that he could see so he suggested I go to Autoecu.com (out of Tenn.) and for $149.00 plus shipping (thats for my yr.and model ) I send in my ecu , they find the problem ,fix it and send back to you with a life time warranty ! Which is a great deal from what I have seen !

Before we do that we want to look for bad connections. The ecu doesnt seem to have any places on it that look bad (that we can see with a loop) ! For some reason I dont have the search box at the top of the page that i had yesterday so I am hoping someone would know where to locate ....

# A diag.with all ground point locations

and A wiring diag.for engine controls and chassie. And of course any other suggestions or info. that I may need or something we have over looked .

Thank you so much for everyones time and for being a place we can go to when in need !

Be_Kind

I've not heard of ignighter problems with the ls ( i have a 93 ls ). But this sounds like an ignighter problem. I had these issues with 2 different Toyota's, except for the sputtering at start up. They would run fine then act like I was running out of gas. Let it sit a while and would start right up. Finally would not start at all. In fact this was recall, years ago, and Toyota would repair free of charge.

There are 2 ignighter's located on top of the passenger side wheel well. With that being said, this year does have ECM/ECU issues. I replaced mine with one off ebay. My ECM issues were different from what you describe. Engine would drop rpm whenever I tried to accelerate more than just slightly.

Also you can search the forum to see how to read you Cel codes. This could narrow it down for you.

Have you pulled the fault codes?

What has led you to think the ECU is faulty?

Did you measure the fuel pressure before replacing the pump?

Random guesswork is the most expensive way to repair a car.

Start with the most obvious causes, clean the AFM and TB then go from there.

• 4 weeks later...

Recap.....

We replaced the fuel filter , fuel pump , fuel pump relay , ignighters , and battery ! I pulled the coils and had them tested , they are good , We have checked for things like loose connections and grounds {somewhat} ....

Have pulled the fault codes.... 15 and 22 to begin with ,

but now only getting code ......22

This car has ALWAYS started with one turn of the key...just start and go (first start of the day ), but now I have to turn the key and get a couple no starts before it reluctantly starts with splutters (like its not getting fuel) then slowly builds pressure and runs normal but while driving it either idles down till it dies or idles WAY up ! When it dies , it usually starts right back up after a couple trys and I dont have to be stopped at a red light for it to die , it does it while driving too !

Im sorry to bother you guys with what seems to be un-structured problem solving , but Im just a gal with no knowledge and not much money trying to figure this out and fix it with little help !

Its about like putting a 4 yr old behind the wheel and telling him to "drive" :wacko: But , I gotta do what I gotta do !!! So, please Be_kind

And I forgot to mention my dash is one of those that doesnt light up unless its really hot outside and its setting in the sun or I drive really far , so Its hard to read my speed n rpms and unless it lights up I never know how much gas I have !

and my A/C isnt working , it blows air but doesnt kick on to blow cold (could that be the code 22 its throwing on the temp .? ) !

I haven't had time to follow your other issues on this thread, but the instrument panel backlighting issue when cold can be a DIY fix. When I bought my LS a few years back, I searched the archives and found old posts on this forum. Then, I pulled the IP from the car and replaced a couple electrolytic capacitors to resolve the issue on my LS for about $3 in electronic parts. It does require minor DIY skill plus basic competence with a soldering iron and electronic parts soldering.

Best,

Paul

Thank you Paul ! I can deal with the dash issue for now if I could just figure out the fuel problem , I hate pulling up to a stop light and my car dies and keeps everyone from getting threw the green light ! They tend to get a lil angry and honk n cuss at me ... :cries:

I noticed you mentioned the idle speed varies, have you checked the IACV as they can get gummed up and do not move correctly, it would explain the idle speed problem and if too much air is being let through the engine will stall.

Another one to check and clean is the throttle body.

Finally have you disconnected the MAF to see if the engine idles better as these also play up.