Tape Player Won't Work (Pioneer P624)

I use the tape player to connect to the iPod & Walkman via a tape interface head/cable. It has worked great, but recently became intermittent. I tried a cassette tape (a good quality tape left over from days of yore), and it refuses to play also. Here's what happens:

1) Tape (or interface) loading or unloading function works as it should.

2) Tape drops down into position, and you can hear the unit try to play the tape (a bit noisier than usual).

3) After a few seconds (and no sound), the tape ejects.

Help!!! I need my music back.

PS I plan to sell the Lexus this September, so I don't want to put a bunch of money into it.

This is just a stab in the dark, but based upon memory I would guess that the drive belt in the player mechinism is either broken or worn. This belt turns the tape take-up spindle and when it is worn or broken the tape dosen't move. The tape player senses no signal across the pick-up head so it ejects the tape.

It also could be a mechnical failure in the drive mechanism, (jammed, broken part, etc.) To find parts, try e-bay as a good source. Or a junk yard where you could buy the whole unit and if it's a good unit, just swap it out.

Below is a link to United Radio which is a company that specializes in automotive radio repair. They come highly recommed by other auto stero installers for there quality of service.

http://unitedradio.com/automotive/

Paul