Rx400H Fuel Filter Location/r&r/replacement

I've had several fuel pump failures on other vehicles in the past few years. In each case I also R&R'd the fuel filter at the same time, cut the old one open and found it to be filthy. Also a trusted mechanic has told me that dirty fuel filters can in fact cause fuel pump failures due to increased back pressure.

That being said I can find no reference to a fuel filter on my RX400h. No replacement interval and no location or removal instructions.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Tom

Had a RX300 with 189k miles and never changed it. It is sort of self cleaning as it is in the fuel tank. I wouldnt sweat it.

Thanks, gentlemen. I followed up with a Lexus service manager and got about the same information. He called the fuel filter more of a "strainer" which is never replaced other than along with a fuel pump failure. I still find a "strainer" odd since conventional fuel filters trap very fine particles to obviously avoid engine damage.

If it ain't broke I won't fix it.

Thanks again.

Tom

Don't consistently run until almost empty and you should be fine. My brother-in-law's Toyota van had over 300,000 miles on it and I believe he never changed or had the fuel filter changed.

• 11 years later...
On 12/25/2023 at 6:36 AM, falconboy62 said:

I've been hearing of many people's hybrids needing Fuel filter and egr valve replacement. 

Surely someone had information on this. 

Anyone? 

The "Car Care Nut" on youtube created a video about how consistently running your gas tanl low can cause premature fuel pump failure because there needs to be enough gas in the tank to keep the pump cool.

An added detriment is allowing the pump to pull in dirtier fuel from the bottom part of the gas tank.

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2023 at 2:34 PM, RX400h said:

The "Car Care Nut" on youtube created a video about how consistently running your gas tanl low can cause premature fuel pump failure because there needs to be enough gas in the tank to keep the pump cool.

An added detriment is allowing the pump to pull in dirtier fuel from the bottom part of the gas tank.

I really like the car care nut very smart and yes dont run the fuel tank empty all the time and the filter is part of the pump assembly 

• Thanks 1