Stalling - 2002 Sc430

Syd2

I purchased a used SC430 with 95,000 miles about a year ago. During the summer, it began to stall, similar to vapor lock, during acceleration and even with steady driving. It also stalls occasionally upon initial start from a stop. This has continued, regardless of weather, and it is intermittent. I have found that it can be overcome by releasing the gas pedal for a few seconds, then depressing it again. The stalling has never caused the engine to stop completely and idle is fine at all times. I would say the frequency of this hesitation averages about six times for a 20 minute drive.

My wife recently drove it to our new home. I forgot to mention the stalling to her, and she said it caused her to drive quite some distance at 45 mph even with the accelerator almost floored. I suggested taking her foot off of the accelerator for a few seconds, and this also worked for her. I had thought it might be a fuel filter, but I understand these are almost lifetime filters, can be difficult to change, and we have only 97,000 miles on the vehicle at this time.

I have tried different fuel octanes and used a can of water remover, all with no change to the stalling. I would very much appreciate suggestions on what might cause this and how to remedy it.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem although I don't think it's as severe as yours. I think it's a fuel delivery problem in our high mileage cars. Junk in the fuel tank that get sucked up into the engine or blocks the fuel filter. I had been told that Toyotas have a "lifetime fuel filter" (sort of makes me wonder what they do?) but I see on line that the SC430 definitely has a replaceable fuel filter. I posted a topic today to see if anyone had changed the fuel filter on an SC430 but no replies yet. For all I know it's in the gas tank and that will be a major job to replace. If you've had any luck getting rid of your problem please post what you did.

I appreciate your thoughts, and I would be interested in how to replace the fuel filter if you receive a reply. SInce I wrote the post, I have driven the Lexus very little. Surprisingly, it hasn't stalled again so I'll hope that any debris in the tank, the fuel line, or the filter might have passed through (doubtful) or could have dissolved into smaller pieces which no longer restrict the fuel flow. It is likely to me that it will recur. If so, and I find a solution, I'll post it.

I've learned that the fuel filter is a part of the fuel pump assembly which is located in the gas tank. There is an access hatch under the rear seat. The filter is available either from Lexus on line or as an after market for between $20 and $30 bucks or so. The genuine Lexus part being slightly more expensive. There is also a screen on the pick up tube in the tank. Actually there are two pick up tubes but they both connect to the pump. Also two sending units. One on each side of what is called a saddle tank. I probably won't get to it for a week or two but if I do it I'll get back on to advise of the difficulty.

I searched for additional information on changing the fuel filter, and I located some information on the SC300 which may be similar. Take a look at this link:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance/116905-how-to-change-the-fuel-filter-sc300.html

I would still like to hear about your experience in replacing it since I also have the 2002 SC430 year model. I'll follow your example and replace mine after you have finished yours.

No, that appears to be a different process with the filter under the car. The 2002 SC430 has the filter inside the gas tank and is accessible through a hatch under the rear seat. Thanks anyway. Probably releasing the pressure by removing the gas cap is not a bad idea though. I don't know if it's necessary but it coulldn't hurt.

I asked a mechanic on driverside.com about my SC430 stalling problems. I just received this response from him:

That could be a few different things. First to check: air filter, clean MAF (mass air flow) sensor, clean throttle body. Check MAF sensor and TPS (throttle position sensor) readings. Check fuel pressure (could be bad fuel pump). Any of these could be off and not set a code.

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a 2005 Lexus 430 SC with 36,000. During normal idling the engine will turn off. This has happened several times and there seems to be no pattern. I have taken the car the service department of an excellent Lexus dealer in Redwood City, CA. The service people performed a full service and I was told that no error code showed up on the computer diagnostics. I use premium gas. The service department was not able to get the engine to stall while they were servicing it. HELP!

I just purchased a 2003 SC430 back in June and I had the same issues with stalling when trying to acclerate. I took it to the dealer and had the $1,200 completed service to include flushing the injectors... seem a litter better for a week. :(

I bought the InJen CAI (Custom Air Intake) and now she runs Great! and no stalling....with better pick up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a SC 430 2003 it was stalling at start up it would take two to three turns before it would start. So I was directed to the evp system so I checked it and I had some rubber hoses that were cracked and broke which it was letting the pressure leak out that the car needed to start. So I changed those and that fixed it for a while. then it started it again doing the same thing so the next step for me was rechecking the evp lines again but they were good. So as I looked at the set up of the system I see this VACUUM SWITCH VALVE that is connected to the evp system once I changed that it worked perfect every time I turn the key first time it starts right up. I did check with the lexus dealer ship on how much it cost it was 115.00 plus tax. So I went on line to ebay and found that switch for 55.00 dollars. I hope this will help some of you SC owners a simple fix if you know what to do. Ps the evp setup you can find it under the plastic cover on the engine it is located on the right side face the car it has a green cap on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2002 SC 430 that two years ago suddenly developed an intermittent stall type problem, similar to vapor lock,

which occurred for a fraction of a second, often times repeated over several minutes, then it would be fine. It was an uneasy feeling that the car would
stall, but never did.

I took the SC to Lexus and left it to be test driven over several days. The test driver said he experienced it only once and, since it was periodic and not consistent, he had

no idea to the cause or solution. In a conversation with a sports car mechanic, he suggested I try the following: drive the car until the gas tank was near
empty then fill it with Shell V-power 92 octane and do this over three fillings. That was two years ago. As long as I’ve used Shell V-power the car has run fine with no problems. In fact, my
miles-per-gallon increased. (Note: this is not a commercial for Shell, it is just my experience that solved the problem.)