Burning Oil

2006 GS with 61,000 miles, all maintenance done by dealer, recently out of warranty, just had "oil consumption" study done. Was told by Lexus that burning 1 quart of oil / 2,000 miles traveled is within the "normal factory Lexus limit standards". This just doesn't sound right. If Lexus says you don't have to have an oil change but every 5,000 miles....the car will be down 2.5 qts by then. How can that be normal? Or, is it? (there is no oil leaking and no visible smoke being emitted.)

Could it be the pistons?

It is entirely normal for a piston engine to consume (burn and leak) oil during operation. That's what the dipstick is for - to check the level and add as required to keep the level of oil correct. The oil change interval is determined by the degradation of the oil - carbon, wear materials, dirt etc...and has nothing to do with oil consumption.

Your engine sounds like it is in fine shape - just check the oil level with the dipstick and keep it in the safe range.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed they were using Amsoil motor oil. I wonder if non-synthetic oil is the issue.

Has anybody experiencing this issue with Synthetic? I have synthetic in my GS now and I've noticed it's taking a while to warm-up fully. I haven't checked the dip-stick but i'll be doing that when i get off the train tonight.

2006 GS with 61,000 miles, all maintenance done by dealer, recently out of warranty, just had "oil consumption" study done. Was told by Lexus that burning 1 quart of oil / 2,000 miles traveled is within the "normal factory Lexus limit standards". This just doesn't sound right. If Lexus says you don't have to have an oil change but every 5,000 miles....the car will be down 2.5 qts by then. How can that be normal? Or, is it? (there is no oil leaking and no visible smoke being emitted.)

Could it be the pistons?

I just had my piston rings and valve seals done as apart of the Lexus GS and IS Engine Misfire Customer Support Program. It's not even considered an official recall :blink:

I posted the letter from Lexus in the video too. Switch the quality of the video to 1080p and watch it in fullscreen to read the letter.

You will also see how the entire engine comes apart on the 2006 Lexus GS 300. Mine is an AWD model so there maybe some different parts on mine as far as the drivetrain goes.

Check out this video taken at the dealership B) You can actually hear the Lexus tech explain the entire problem with the valve spring design as well as the solution.

Thanks. It's very helpful.and I'm going to be talking to my local Lexus dealer shortly.

Since you've had this issue done, does your car rough idle in cold conditions still or has that stopped as well?

• 1 month later...

Check out the link below. Apperently 2006 GS300 owners are getting letters from Lexus. I am making an appointment tomorrow morning. Since last oil change i put in 4 quarts of oil. I will let you know what happens.

http://www.clublexus...ning-oil-6.html

Brought my 2006 Lexus GS300 in about 1k miles ago complaining about burning oil. They put me on a 1k mile oil consumption test. Brought it in this morning. They added oil and asked me to come back in another 1k miles. Here we go again. Hope they recognise that this is a latent defect with thier piston rings and fix it at no cost. I hope they treat us Canadians similarly like they did in the States. I will keep you posted.

Check out the link below. Apperently 2006 GS300 owners are getting letters from Lexus. I am making an appointment tomorrow morning. Since last oil change i put in 4 quarts of oil. I will let you know what happens.

Brought my 2006 Lexus GS300 in about 1k miles ago complaining about burning oil. They put me on a 1k mile oil consumption test. Brought it in this morning. They added oil and asked me to come back in another 1k miles. Here we go again. Hope they recognise that this is a latent defect with thier piston rings and fix it at no cost. I hope they treat us Canadians similarly like they did in the States. I will keep you posted.

I have a similar problem with my GS. Did your dealer run the misfire test? That should also put you on the list. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time waiting for parts. Lexus says there is a huge backlog of requests for new pistons and rings.

I have a similar problem with my GS. Did your dealer run the misfire test? That should also put you on the list. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time waiting for parts. Lexus says there is a huge backlog of requests for new pistons and rings.

No the dealer did not run the misfire codes. I will wait to see what they say when I bring my car back after another 1k miles oil consumption test. As far as puting me on the list, I don't know of any Canadians on any forums that have had this issue resolved at no cost by Lexus. If they deny to fix this problem I will come out fighting. After all it is deffinetely a latent defect in their piston rings.

Found this on the IS forum which is similar to the GS issue regarding oil consumption and what the dealer does in regards to the test. From service bulletin L-SB-0124-12:

Perform an oil consumption test to determine the consumption rate.

1. Confirm the engine oil level is full.

2. Mark the oil dipstick to indicate the current level.

3. Replace the oil dipstick.

4. Mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap to prevent/indicate tampering during the test.

HINT

Use tape, sealer, cable ties, or equivalent to mark the oil dipstick, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap.

5. Advise the customer to drive the vehicle normally for 1,200 miles and return for inspection

Diagnostic Procedure B (Continued)

6. Determine the quantity of oil that was consumed in 1,200 miles.

Was the oil level more than 1 quart low after 1,200 miles of normal driving?

• YES — Go to the Repair Procedure.

• NO — This bulletin does NOT apply. Warranty guideline for acceptable oil consumption is

1 quart per 1,200 miles of operation. No warranty claim should be filed. user_online.gifreport.gif edit.gif