Rx 300 Cracks On Dashboard

doo

I know there are numerous threads on this subject and I did not want to hijack them as they are old.

Have recently starting seeing hairline cracks on dashboard on 2003 RX300. Car is always parked indoor so can't understand what has caused the cracks. Local Dealer/Lexus service have been contacted for replacement (but it'll cost me not sure the price tag at the moment).

It is really annoying to see something like this in Lexus and i've only owned this vehicle for just over 6 months.

My real questions are, if anyone in Hong Kong/Asiapac has experienced this issue and how or who did they used to fix it.

I read in some other forums to try out Eastwood's Vinly Interior repair http://www.eastwood.com/vinyl-and-dashboard-repair-system.html. Any of you a user of this or similar products? Would this work?

thanks

It may be a Lexus...and you may have only owned it 6 months...but it is 10 years old. Do you have direct knowledge that the car was always parked indoors throughout its whole life? Do you know what if anything was used to treat the dashboard material over the vehicles life?

Its unfortunate...but its caused by environmental concerns. Only option to repair is likely replacement.

I highly recommended taking a look at this product...a dash cover. I got a black one to put over the tan dash on my '99 RX to get rid of the glare the sunlight would make in my windshield. It totally fixed that problem, and it is an attractive addition to the interior of the car. I did not have any cracks, but if I did it would have solved this problem as well. I got the "Sedona Suede" fabric.

Check it out at: http://www.dashdesigns.com/dash-covers

So Lexus HKG came back with the following cost which, is ridiculous :

Labor = USD 630

Replacement Part = USD 3,115

They can't be serious.

How can one buy these spare parts bypassing the dealers?

Ricco, I'll look into the Dash covers. thx

I found a very cheap DIY solution which might work for everyone.

I bought a CARBON FIBER material from ebay - $20.00 which fits the whole dash. Also, you might like to try the carbon fiber vinyl (self stick and flexible). I will try to install mine this week. Might be a big work coz I need to remove the vents which i already saw in youtube.

Somebody used an imitation leather and glued with pvc cement (saw it in youtube).

I'll post the pics afterwards.

I highly recommended taking a look at this product...a dash cover. I got a black one to put over the tan dash on my '99 RX to get rid of the glare the sunlight would make in my windshield. It totally fixed that problem, and it is an attractive addition to the interior of the car. I did not have any cracks, but if I did it would have solved this problem as well. I got the "Sedona Suede" fabric.

Check it out at: http://www.dashdesigns.com/dash-covers

to be honest, i dont like the carpet dashcover. it looks cheap or like hiding something underneath the dash. I will try the carbon fiber which will give glamour to your dash

I highly recommended taking a look at this product...a dash cover. I got a black one to put over the tan dash on my '99 RX to get rid of the glare the sunlight would make in my windshield. It totally fixed that problem, and it is an attractive addition to the interior of the car. I did not have any cracks, but if I did it would have solved this problem as well. I got the "Sedona Suede" fabric. Check it out at: http://www.dashdesigns.com/dash-covers
to be honest, i dont like the carpet dashcover. it looks cheap or like hiding something underneath the dash. I will try the carbon fiber which will give glamour to your dash

It definitely does not look cheap...I would not put one on my vehicle if it did...this is not a product that you pull off the shelf at a parts store.

I agree with you ricco750. I do not totally disagree with dashboard cover. In fact, that was my first choice in solving the dashboard cracks. The cracks on my dash are milimeters away from the vents which I may not be able to hide using the carpet cover. thats why I will try to cover it with carbon fiber.

Even the new LFA used a carbon fiber cover (I saw the rear pic). Also the lexus enthusiast used them on the dash trim.

This is just a suggestion to solve this crack dash problem (inexpensive).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue. We live in Charleston, SC, and I went to the local Lexus dealership here (very upscale!) and asked them to look at it. After an astronomical quote (parts and labor was around $2,500.00) They informed me that the cracks are due to the products that I put on or car-detailing places put on when cleaned. Bull!!!!! considering how many people that seem to have this issue with the '03-'04 models I would venture to say it's a manufacturing issue and Lexus/dealership is trying to blame it on everyone else instead of taking responsibility .... too bad because this car is truly a great driving car but after this one "dies" I will NOT be buying another!!!!! we have been very disappointed by the local Lexus dealership and their lack of service (the people that work there are great but the management that makes the ultimate decisions are very short-sighted when it comes to service). I go out of my way NOT to use them or any of their services, and will continue to seek other options when it comes to parts and repairs (which are VERY few).

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

post-158360-0-67018600-1413065801_thumb.[ post-158360-0-69991800-1413065900_thumb.post-158360-0-03820000-1413065538_thumb.[ post-158360-0-97890100-1413065823_thumb.[ post-158360-0-07176500-1413065869_thumb.At RC Garage we have developed a dash restoration system that is specifically designed to permanently restore your dash to perfect condition, you can see before and after pictures at our page in Facebook our address is www.facebook.com/magicleangarage, Our company services the Toyota and Lexus dealers in the treasure coast in Florida , After many years and studies as why this "cracking situation" happens we have determine that soft vinyl used to cover the dashboard, consoles and door panels in many automobile interiors cannot be dressed with any type of silicon based Protectant, only a mild solution of soap and water can be used.

As you have probably noticed , sections of your dash have become sticky or the vinyl grain has been destroyed and in the worst possible cases sections of the vinyl have come separated or fallen out, at RC garage we can handle all those problems and restore your dash to its original condition for a fraction of the cost of replacing it.

call us for a free estimate 615-430-6606

post-158360-0-54918200-1413065846_thumb.