Rx300 Audio Off Message On Screen

I have an 02 RX 300 with navigation. Recently a message popped up - "Audio Off". I cannot get the audio to turn on. I've checked all fuses and they are good. I even bought a second hand radio from a salvage yard and installed it, I still get the same message. Everything else works...nav, A/C, clock, etc. Any suggestions?

I have an 02 RX 300 with navigation. Recently a message popped up - "Audio Off". I cannot get the audio to turn on. I've checked all fuses and they are good. I even bought a second hand radio from a salvage yard and installed it, I still get the same message. Everything else works...nav, A/C, clock, etc. Any suggestions?

Hi Richard, and welcome to the Lexus Ownners Owners Club.

A couple of questions that are basic and from someone who is not an expert. When you say you replaced the "radio", was that just the head unit or did it include the amplifier? Secondly, have you checked for a good ground . The only time I have experienced the "Audio Off" message, was when I use my mp3 player using the "Aux" jack in my 2010 ES50, When I'm playing the mp3 player and I turn off the car, when I get back in , the screen will say "Audio Off". For some reason, the mp3 player controls the function of the Lexus player. Since the late model's Lexus are designed around the Ipod products, there are no such problems.

I got it working. Apparently the cassette player was faulty. When I swapped out the radio I didn't change the cassette deck. I went back in and changed it with the "new" radio I got and it started working. I imagine if I look inside the old cassette deck I'll find something stuck in there.