AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Harley Rider

Air Conditioning Repair

I just dropped close to $1,700 to replace air conditioning lines on my 2005 GX (72K miles). It seems the connections failed and the only fix was to replace six lines. There was another GX in the shop for the same thing (78K miles) at the same time. Anyone else had this problem?

April 10, 2012 UPDATE:

Lexus came through and helped with the cost. I guess that's the benefit of having 2 Lexus (Lexi?) and having Lexus of Ann Arbor perform all maintenance.

Man that stinks. I've known a few people that have had GX470 s and not had any problems like that.

Did you get a quote from an independent air conditioner repair shop?

Nope! May have been cheaper initially, but I have had all service on both cars performed at the dealer, and in the end, that paid off (see my update).

A few things you can try yourself, if your air conditioner unit needs repair,
not running at all or just blowing less than cool air. Many air conditioner
repairs can be avoided by consistently changing your filter. If your filter is
dirty and clogged, it can cause many issues with your unit. If Air Conditioning
Repair
is done at regular interval, you will never face any problems with your
AC unit.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By momo2000
      I have a 2003 with 215K miles on it.  Had it since 90K, great truck! 

Part I: 3-4 years ago the (what I call) air flow control boxes (one under each side driver/pass, control which vents the air flows out of) started making noise.  They still worked, but would pretty much make time almost all the time the car was running.  Just a clunking, chirping, clicking every few seconds, somewhat rhythmic.   Again, everything worked, just made noise.  Since I am the only driver, and am alone 95% of the time in the truck, and play the radio ;), I never worried about it, just called them “my pet squirrels”.  I spoke to my “non-dealer-lexus-only” mechanic that I’ve been taking it to since I got it and said the dash would have to come off to fix it, and it was a big price tag so I have lived with it.
      Part II:  Then 18-ish months ago I got the recall notice about the cracked dash and went in to get on “the list” at the dealership (Dec 2015).  The cracked dash did bother me much, but I though, great, when they take the dash off for the repair, I’ll pay the dealer whatever their fee is to change the air flow control boxes that that time.  What a great and fortunate plan!

Part III:  I am still waiting to get “my turn” to get the dash fixed, but about a month ago, the air flow control boxes stopped making noise, but now I think they are stuck in one position.  Here is the condition that they are now it.  I get A/C out the vents on the passenger side, but on the driver’s side, it blows HEAT.  I close the vents, but I some still comes through, and I some is coming through the floor vent.  After another 85+ degree day in Atlanta, I am motivated to find a solution.

QUESTIONS:  has anyone ever seen this issue?  Is there any way to manually operate these “air flow control boxes” so I can put it in the “A/C flow mode” for the summer??  Any other ideas to keep me a bit cooler?

• By airdog99
      Hey Guys,
      After turning on the a/c you can feel the engine idle down (a/c clutch engaging) and after a few seconds the "Check air conditioning" message starts to flash on the Nav screen. I checked all fuses and even replaced the a/c clutch relay with no luck. I also ran the a/c diagnostics on the Nav screen and got no error codes. 
      So I decided to take it to the shop this morning. 10 minutes after I dropped the car off the mechanic called and said I need to come back as they already found that the compressor was seized up. I was hoping that wouldn't be the problem but I kind of figured it was after what I was seeing during my troubleshooting. 
      Now I am being told that since the compressor has failed that I will probably have to replace the entire system... a/c compressor, all lines, evaporator, condenser, valves... everything! The master mechanic said that because the compressor failed it has probably introduced metal particles into the system. He said there is no filter or anything to catch these particles in this 2007 GX470 a/c system and it can't be flushed. Replacement is the only option.
      They said it will be a major job requiring the removal of the dashboard and will more than likely cost between $4500 all the way up to $7000. Needless to say, I was floored!
      Does this sound legit? Is there a way to flush the system and just replace the compressor itself?
      Please help and give any advice you may have... thanks in advance!
    • By NetLexus
      2008 Lexus 460L Executive model, stopped blowing cold air suddenly earlier today. For the past week or so, it seemed like the car will get warm when not in motion say at a traffic light even when the AC was set to 65 deg but when in motion the AC would seem okay. Called my routine mechanic he said it may be a leak or an electrical problem. Any insights on this. 
      Another thing I noticed for a few minutes just before the AC went out, the transmission seemed a little jerky and lagging, as in I pushed the accelerator but the car wouldn't respond. Not sure if there is a connection, but any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
    • By seaweed
      The air intake control for the cabin is set to stay in the recirculate mode when the outside air temperature is above 75 degrees F and the AC is on. This does not work in Florida as the air temperature is above 75 most of the time. I have to remember to manually switch to fresh air intake every time I start the car.
      This is a serious defect as it will never switch out of recirculate no matter how long you are driving. Does anybody have a solution to this problem?
    • By Sam Canuck
      Hi have a strange problem that just cropped up on my 2008 IS250 with about 60,000 km. When the heater/AC blower is running on the flow-through setting only (not on recirculate) it makes a loud sound like a baseball card stuck in bicycle spokes. It stops after a few minutes but it is loud enough that I am running only on recirculate. Before I take this to the dealer, any suggestions? Please and thank you!!