Abs Tone Ring On New Front Axles?

Bio4x4

I replaced both front axles a few months ago (Master Pro from O'Reilly Auto Parts) on my 95 ES (180k) and my ABS light has been on ever since. I have heard that if you are not careful during the project you can:

#1) pull the wires from the sensor and damage them .

#2) ding the sensor and miss align it.

#3) bang up the tone ring.

#4) ??

I noticed that the actual tone ring is covered with what looks like a metal protective cover, see photo. My question is how can the magnetic pickup detect pulsations when there is a metal cover between the sensor and toothed tone ring?

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

post-134291-0-07171300-1332100600_thumb.

it prob triggerd an error for one reason or another you need a special obd programer to check and clear abs codes. you can try going to auto zone and see what codes come up but most likely there obd reader wont work. like you said the senor could be bad or misalligned. try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and hit the brakes a few times and then reconnect and see what happens. also the pickup can read through metal

I believe there is a hole in that cover ring where the abs sensor is attached, at least it is on the RX Lexus.....Did you remove the sensor when replacing the axle. If not then you may have destroyed the sensor...