Driver Seatbelt Lock/release

Dave_02RX300

On my 2002 RX300: the driver's side seat belt lock/release gizmo is giving me problems. I could not figure out the name of this part, but it's the slot you click the belt's buckle into, and it has the RED release button on it. Ya know, that thing you click the buckle into, on the right side of the seat.

The PROBLEM: it doesn't let me click in all the time. It feels like the buckle is blocked by an obstruction. Sometimes, if I press the release button in-and-out a few times, I can get the buckle to click in. And once in (and I'm buckled up) it stays in OK - I can only pull it out when I press the release button. So it seems secure, once it's fastened. But getting it to click in and stay in takes half a minute or so. I have to kind of jimmy it to get it fastened. It's almost like someone lost a quarter in the slot or something is blocking the buckle. I took a look in the slot, and it's clear, and I can see the locking pin moving just fine when I press and release the release button.

So, is there a replacement for this? And if so, will I need to rewire the whole car, etc. etc.?

Thanks

-Dave

You know there is probably debris in the buckle...If you could take it out of the car (probably have to unbolt it) then you could try cleaning it in some warm water with dish soap and then dry it. Maybe even a little spray of WD40 and then cleaning the residue with a towel. Doing it in the car is difficult because of its location next to the seats....I know my wife has spilled coffee a couple of times in that area, and that would really gum it up.

I've had the same thing occur on my drivers seat belt buckle mechanism in my 1999 Dodge Ram pickup. A small spray of white lithium grease lube down into the mechanism spread around with a toothpick then combined with ten or so buckle fastens and releases alway fixes the problem. In my truck's case, I believe it is the residual sweat from my morning six-mile hikes that gets down in there and causes problems....

Thanks for the replies. For some reason, the auto-email-me with replies wasn't operating on this post. So I just saw this info now. I took it to the dealer, and for $125 diagnostics plus 55$ for the part, he's fixing it. I felt it was important to replace this most important part on the car with original Lexus parts. And to make sure it was wired to the seat belt sensors.

Indeed, I may have been able to unbolt it and try to clean it out - but it seemed more of a bent mechanical plate or pin in there, and not so much as an issue with sticking because of all the coffee that's been dumped on it over the years.

[Naturally it was also time for a 4 wheel alignment, and a clean, flush, replace the transmission flud - that's never been done before on this 84k miles car].

I think I will have to visit a non-dealer, local shop, for the broken antenna motor gizmo. The dealer's estimate was over 600$. I'd follow the instructions for the antenna show in other detailed posts, but I'm not that good.

Thanks

-Dave