AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Sign in to follow this  

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1998 ES 300. I loaded some stuff into my trunk earlier today and went to open it again half an hour later but it won't. I checked the button in the glove compartment but that's not it. When I press the button next to the steering wheel I hear a small click everytime it's pushed but nothing. I tried jiggling it open while pressing/holding the button and nothing. The key I have won't open the trunk and the remote key is semi-broken. Is there someway of opening it? Or at least removing the backseats so I can get inside?

Any help is appreciated!

Open the pass through behind the centre armrest in the rear seat. Using a small mirror and a flashlight you should be able to locate the emergency pull release for the trunk (used for when someone is locked inside the trunk).

If you can locate it on the rear quarter panel on the driver's side, fashion a pull stick using a broom handle (or similar) and a metal clothes hanger. Bend the hanger into a shape that will grab the pull handle, and fasten it to the handle using wood screws.

With a little patience and practice, you should be able to open the trunk lid.

If this doesn't work, you may be forced to pry open the trunk lid. Good Luck!

Open the pass through behind the centre armrest in the rear seat. Using a small mirror and a flashlight you should be able to locate the emergency pull release for the trunk (used for when someone is locked inside the trunk).

The inside trunk releases were not added until sometime after the 2000 model year. Owners of 1992 through 2000 Lexus sedans were offered a retrofit inside trunk release under a TSB in 2001 but I doubt that many took advantage of the offer since owners were not notified. It was not a safety recall - the phrase "to respond to requests of our valued customers" was used in the TSB.

I'd call a locksmith to handle this situation.