Intermittent Starting Issues - Gs 300 Awd

Hi Guys / gals,

I have a 2006 GS 300 AWD, i am having issues with starting my car, it has starting issues intermittently,

- car wont start after being parked, had AAA come and jump start the car and seems to be fine. they told me my battery was dead so i took it to the dealer

- dealer did a parasidic test on the vehicle, and seems everything was opertating normally and advised I did not need a new battery, although they suggested the since the car is 6 years old it may require a new battery.

- I had the battery replaced, and the problem reappered a couple days back. Car wouldnt start after being parked for a short period of time. We waited for about 10 mins, pumped the brakes and seems to start the car.

- does anyone have any suggestions or had the same issues

this is my parents car and i need to get this problem solved ..... please help!!

thanks

need three things to start the car. spark, fuel and air.

you replaced battery but did anyone check the cables to make sure ground connection was secure and clean?

To me is sounds like a fuel pressure or lazy fuel pump problem. Any problems with performance once car is started?

Has anyone hooked up a scan tool upon start up to see what fuel pressures are.

If the car is warm, does it start right up? You mention the car has to sit for a time for the no start condition to occur.

This makes me think it could be a coolant temperature sensor malfunction or some other temperature related sensor.

It is a very open ended question with too many possibilities for a no start condition.

steviej

• 4 weeks later...

There is a TSB on "intermittent extended crank/hard start" for 2008 GS350's. It is number L-SB-0009-08. The TSB was issued in Feb. 2008, but I just started having the problem a few weeks ago in cold weather. I have a 2008 GS350 awd. Just found out about the TSB from my trusted local mechanic, will now set up an app't with the dealer to fix it. The TSB says the Engine Control Module (ECM) needs to be flashed to correct the problem.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

There is a TSB on "intermittent extended crank/hard start" for 2008 GS350's. It is number L-SB-0009-08. The TSB was issued in Feb. 2008, but I just started having the problem a few weeks ago in cold weather. I have a 2008 GS350 awd. Just found out about the TSB from my trusted local mechanic, will now set up an app't with the dealer to fix it. The TSB says the Engine Control Module (ECM) needs to be flashed to correct the problem.

Hope this helps.

Did they have to replace your ECM?

need three things to start the car. spark, fuel and air.

you replaced battery but did anyone check the cables to make sure ground connection was secure and clean?

To me is sounds like a fuel pressure or lazy fuel pump problem. Any problems with performance once car is started?

Has anyone hooked up a scan tool upon start up to see what fuel pressures are.

If the car is warm, does it start right up? You mention the car has to sit for a time for the no start condition to occur.

This makes me think it could be a coolant temperature sensor malfunction or some other temperature related sensor.

I'm having the same random starting issue. I can make the car crank with engine start fluid, so I believe the issue may be a fuel pressure or fuel pump issue. The car goes from not starting to starting like nothing is wrong with it. It has stalled when driving also. I put my OB II tool on it and checked the fuel pressure. I get 1200+ PSI reading, and other times I get 690 to 800+ PSI. This is while car is running idle. Do you know what the PSI should be before cranking and after?

It is a very open ended question with too many possibilities for a no start condition.

steviej

Hi Guys / gals,

I have a 2006 GS 300 AWD, i am having issues with starting my car, it has starting issues intermittently,

- car wont start after being parked, had AAA come and jump start the car and seems to be fine. they told me my battery was dead so i took it to the dealer

- dealer did a parasidic test on the vehicle, and seems everything was opertating normally and advised I did not need a new battery, although they suggested the since the car is 6 years old it may require a new battery.

- I had the battery replaced, and the problem reappered a couple days back. Car wouldnt start after being parked for a short period of time. We waited for about 10 mins, pumped the brakes and seems to start the car.

- does anyone have any suggestions or had the same issues

this is my parents car and i need to get this problem solved ..... please help!!

thanks

I think this is the issue and fix:

SERVICE BULLETIN:LSB-0015-10 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10034245

MFG Bulletin Date: 02/04/2010

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE

Bulletin Summary: LEXUS: TECHSTREAM ECU FLASH REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE. FLASH REPROGRAMMING ALLOWS THE ECU SOFTWARE TO BE UPDATED WITHOUT REPLACING THE ECU. FLASH CALIBRATION UPDATES FOR SPECIFIC VEHICLE MODELS/ECUS ARE RELEASED AS FIELD FIX PROCEDURES DES

Date added to datbase: 10/29/2010

Dealer says its the fuel pump

Update:

Dealer changed fuel pump but did not install it properly, so after I filled my car up with gas, I started to small gas fumes and had to lower all my windows just to breathe. Once i got home, gas was leaking onto my driveway and a lot water was leaking from the engine area. Had to call the local fire department. They came out and set up a containment area and pull my back seat look at the pump. gas was leaking from the cap of the container that the pump is housed in.

Dealer picked up the car this morning. This has been a nightmare and could have been deadly.

I'm just glad I was close to home when I got gas. I still have a headache from the gas fumes.

• 1 year later...

Numerous issues can cause hard starting. The first thing to check is that the battery terminals and cable clamps are spotlessly clean - bright and shiny - and that the cable clamps are tight around the terminals. A terminal/clamp cleaning tools is less than $5 at an auto parts store if you don't have one. The battery is the next thing to check. I've had batteries fail in as little as one year.

And then there is the alternator .. should be easy for a shop to test its output.

The last dead battery starting problem I had on my 2000 LS400 was caused by a failing starter. The starter was pulling such a wild amount of amps that the battery never had a chance to recover during my short commute. The amperage draw of the starter should also be easy for a shop to test.