Broken Key

(I tried to search the forums for this; but "key" is only three letters and the search requires a minimum of four)

The structural design of the keys from my car's time frame is awful. The metal shank doesn't go very far into the plastic housing, nor does it fan out after getting into the housing in order to absorb the considerable stress of the torque on that point every time you twist it in the ignition. So of course these things will break, and mine did (the second key is probably going to break soon too...).

The lexus dealer wants $79 to repair it with a new housing (or $49 if my vanity is so lacking that I don't need a lexus logo on it). I think this is utterly ridiculous given that it's a result of their (probaby intentional) poor design.

Has anyone out there found a cheap way to keep the key "together" that has broken this way?

• 11 months later...

Same problem with the keys for my '98 GS 400 and '05 RX 330. I located replacement keys online, but had to use the Lexus dealer to get the keys cut. Had to pay a fee for their labor! The original design of these keys are the fault. This should have been covered by a recall!!! I replace the key for my '98 GS 400 about every 2-3 years. Thought about using some glue but the battery will eventually need replacing in the key. Glue won't work.

Nice troubleshooting, determining the short metal key stub is the culprit.