"the External System Is Not Connected" Screen Problem

VMF

good day guys! recently our 04 ls430 with navi starting to experience blackouts when screen would black out, navigation, climate control and some audio controls will go blank, along with driver/passenger small temperature screens.

pressing navi button will produce "the external system is not connected" message on the screen and pressing climate button will produce "check connection of the air conditioner"

anyone had this issue before? is it just a connection issue or something is wrong with the touchscreen module?

post-313-0-58136900-1328299477_thumb.jpg

post-313-0-17645500-1328299500_thumb.jpg

I would check all the plug connections both behind the head unit and in the trunk for the sat nav system to make sure they are all fully inserted into their sockets.

Have you tried giving the side of the center console a tap when the fault happens to see if it all comes right indicating a loose connection.

the 2004 ls430 had a defect in the electronic board soldering and was prone to those defects. i have a 2005 unit that will cure the problem do not buy another 2004 as they all eventually will become defective. contact dcfish for more info . all you need is the electronic boards not a new lcd screen like the is350 owners need.

the 2004 ls430 had a defect in the electronic board soldering and was prone to those defects. i have a 2005 unit that will cure the problem do not buy another 2004 as they all eventually will become defective. contact dcfish for more info . all you need is the electronic boards not a new lcd screen like the is350 owners need.

thanks man,you are correct! ive been reading and the problem is in the connection where the plug is connected to pcb in 2004 models . im gonna try to fix it myself first or get an 05-07 board/screen. dcfish has some for sale?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

yes, the HQ said that 2004 model year had the issue with soldering and overall position of the wiring in the head unit. it has been resolved in the 2005 year but 2004 owners are stuck. new head unit was around 5k. so traded in the car back in 2013 for a new GS 350, which eventually experienced the same issue with its head unit dying if the car is parked in the sun for few hours:) that got replaced under warranty.

• 1 year later...