Aux Input For 2006 Gx470

tlbarton

has anyone installed a auxilliary input in a 06 GX470? Surprised Lexus didn't have one in this model. Or how to install xm satellite radio or use mp3 without cassette adapter? Dont want to change any factory options if possible.

Thanks.

has anyone installed a auxilliary input in a 06 GX470? Surprised Lexus didn't have one in this model. Or how to install xm satellite radio or use mp3 without cassette adapter? Dont want to change any factory options if possible.

Thanks.

Hi Tracy. Welcome to the LOC.

My experience has been with my former 05' ES330, which had SAT radio, CD, and Cassette. If your head unit has the SAT button in the row of button that show AM/FM - CD- etc, then your unit can be retrfited for SAT radio. But, by now, very exspensive to do. There is no aux jack kit from Lexus. Other than the cassette adapter (which I had to use), I don't know of any other way to use your mp3. I am with you in wanting to keep the factory appearance, but there are some nice after market stuff out there that other members have had luck with fitting in and looking good.

Do a search of our data base and read up on what others have tried or done to solve some of these issues.

Let us know what you come up with.

Paul

They have added the USB and Bluetooth in the newer Lexus models thank you Lexus.

What you may want to give a shot is the adapters they sell that plug in to the mp3 player and it will transmit via the FM channels on you radio not great but good. I have one for our 06x5 and it works fine. Other than that you will need to pull out the factor radio and use a kit that will offer a hook up. I think DICE was the one I looked at?

Best of luck.

There's also an option that some stereo shops offer. I don't know exactly how it works, but they have a kit which somehow taps into your radio directly from behind, and you can either have the other end of the cord as an aux or ipod touch/iphone connector. I believe you have to set aside one dead radio station channel and that's where that aux cord will play. I wanted that installed in my RX300 but the problem is that my antenna will be going up and down all the time which I dont want because it will tend to break faster.

Thanks for the replies. I have a cassette adapter and purchased a scoshe fm transmitter/adapter and it works ok. Still some static in the background and you have to turn up the volume pretty loud in the lexus in order to hear the mp3 (30+). I found a couple of places on the internet that sell a kit to add a aux iniput.. www.vaistech.com I would appreciate some of the LOC members to check this out and give me their opinion. I'm not very knowledgeable of what this would to do the interior and I still want to add xm satellite so I'm considering biting the bullet and purchasing a kit. Thanks again or the response. Looking forward to talking with other lexus owners.

• 2 months later...

found installer in pelham who ordered an oem part to add satellite to existing system with navigation. they also added an aux input in the console (great job on this). satellite radio was great for 2 weeks, now it doesn't work. called xm and each time they send a signal to the radio it comes on for about a minute and goes back. i will have to return to the installer to check. it was expensive and now frustrating as i've made 3 trips so far to get it complete. has anyone else experienced this?

• 10 months later...

iPod option is best for per 07 models, VAIS Akers a good one, but there are others that cost less. I use a blackberry music gateway on my 07 which gives me wireless radio ipod to car and Pandora is as good as Sat (for me). Mike