LS400 stalling

Russ

I just recently purchased a 1993 LS400. It has been stalling(dying) on me on average of once a week. It does start up right away. It happens only when I stop at a light or go slowly in a parking lot. Would appreciate any feedback on this.

TIA,

Russ

hi there,

you need to change your engine mounts as they are worn and it has split your air intake

what happens is the rubber on the engine mounts split and causes the engine to move around... this then puts strain on the air intake hose and it splits causing to much air to go into the engine.. making it stall.

This is not serious but you will need to get these fixed before you stall in a dangerous situation.. ie. at a junction or something.

if you need ay more info then email me at admin@teamlexus.co.uk

I had the same problem myself.

• 2 weeks later...
I just recently purchased a 1993 LS400.  It has been stalling(dying) on me on average of once a week.  It does start up right away.  It happens only when I stop at a light or go slowly in a parking lot.  Would appreciate any feedback on this.  

TIA,

Russ

sounds like you might need to adjust your idle.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I just recently purchased a 1993 LS400. It has been stalling(dying) on me on average of once a week. It does start up right away. It happens only when I stop at a light or go slowly in a parking lot. Would appreciate any feedback on this.

TIA,

Russ

I have had the same problem with a 95 LS 400 with 115,000 miles.

I have taken it to the Lexus dealer two times and they could not duplicate the problem. They checked the mounts, idle, and vacuum hoses. they were not damaged.

A mechanic told me it was the ECU. I bought a remanufactured unit installed it and it solved the problem.

dfaulkner

With all the speculations and possilble causes, why don't you take your Lexus for a check up at the dealer? They should be able to pin-point your problem.

Now, I actually had similar problem, but it turns out that my air-flow control sensor was dead, and causing my car to want to stop whenever I slow down. Worst of all, it feels like the car engine would actually choke itself, and gives you the creeps when you make turns at major intersaction.

Anyway, good luck

• 5 months later...
dfaulkner--there is a known issue with the 95/96 lS stalling after a long drive...if you paid out of pocket, i would go to a dealer and see if they would reimbursement you for it.  good luck..

I have a 96 LS 400 that occationally stalls (idle is very low and then it drops out) when I stop after a long drive. I can immediately restart the engine without a problem and the idle returns to normal.

The problem was first noticed after 50,000 miles but it was infrequent and the dealer didn't know what was wrong. Now the car has 130,000 miles and the problem is more pronounced (still only after a long drives) and the dealer still claims not to know what the cause is.

This sounds exaclty like your description. Could you please give me some additional information so I can inform the dealer and get them to fix it or fix it myself.

Thanks

you can adjust the idle by adjusting the TPS...i've done it.

Yep.

Russ, take a look at the throttle body cleaning tutorial on my site. I would do that first before going out and replacing expensive parts. It sounds like you just have a low idle and a dirty TB can contribute to that.

you can adjust the idle by adjusting the TPS...i've done it.

Yep.

Russ, take a look at the throttle body cleaning tutorial on my site. I would do that first before going out and replacing expensive parts. It sounds like you just have a low idle and a dirty TB can contribute to that.

Great advice!! It wouldn't be fun replacing a $500 part and in the end still have a problem.

• 7 years later...

I have a 97 LS400 with 184000 miles. Three times in the last couple of weeks, it has cut out while driving. Does not happen right way, need to drive 15 or so miles, and then it cuts out. Happened doing 60MPH. It does not die completely, acts like it's not getting fuel. Idles, but if you try to accelerate, it hesitates. Starts up fine.

• 1 month later...

Could be a lot of things.

1. Clogged Fuel Filter

2. Dying fuel pump

3. Fuel pump relay

If you take it to a mechanic and its not acting up, they won't find anything at the time. If you haven't done it already, go ahead and change the fuel filter, its good maintenance anyway.

My guess is probably the fuel pump, because you say it happens when you are 15 miles away, so by then it has gotten warm, and fuel pumps which are dying usually act up after they get warm. When they cool down again, they start acting normally. Eventually they wil just completely die out.

Can get a denso one on autopartswarehouse.com if that turns out to be the problem, pretty much an original japan made part and saved me quite a bit.