Radio/amp Problem

Penni

My wife got a 2008 Gx470 and the Mark Levinson sound system is out. No sound, and cannot move sound from back of car. I have been told it is the amp?!?!?!?! Is there a way to check and make sure before i send it off to be fixed??? Thanx.

My wife got a 2008 Gx470 and the Mark Levinson sound system is out. No sound, and cannot move sound from back of car. I have been told it is the amp?!?!?!?! Is there a way to check and make sure before i send it off to be fixed??? Thanx.

Welcome as well to the Lexus Owners Club.

If it is not in warranty, Lexus does not have any way to repair the amp as it is a proprietary product to Levinson/Harmon, and Lexus has no repair manuals, schematics, or parts. Therefore the only way to fix a bad amplifier is to swap it out for a new one.

Now, you say in your post that you might send the amp off for repair. Given what I just explained, have you found someone to repair the ML components that no one knows about? That would be great.

Your Lexus dealer should be able to tell you if your problem is the amp for sure and not the pre-amp in the head unit or even the fuse for the system.(I know you already checked that).

Please let David/Lexirx330 and I know if you have your warranty coverage still, and if you determine for sure that the problem is the amp. The late model ML systems have had a history of amplifier failure and it is well known by Lexus and their dealers. I would encourage you to push for a strong discount on the new amp if, in fact that is the problem. Given as many as they have had problems with, they should make you a handsome offer. That is MY opinion and not that of the LOC.

Paul

• 5 months later...

I have the exact same problem as orginal poster.

GX 2007, and I belive that the amp is the same model. My service told me that I may require replace the amplifier.

However, a couple of days after the audio came back. it was working fine for a couple of days.

Now sound is being dead again.

I asked for estimate again, see how much they are going to charge me.

and I will try to negtiate with them since the latest ml amplifier seems to have troublesome.

I will update the status as it progress.

• 8 years later...

I have a question idk if it is my amplifier I have a 2008 lexus gx470 and the radio cuts on but is really choppy like it is about to go out so do I check the fuse or just buy a wiring kit and another radio to place in it. That's what one of the audio guys told me but idk.