2011 Lx 570: Is Anyone Having Brake Problems?

Bellamore

We purchased our 2011 LX570 new in december 2010. Both the front and rear brakes have already been replaced this year. Today, we were told that the brakes need to be replaced AGAIN!! The car has about 27,000 miles and this seems quite unusual to have to replace 3 sets of brakes in less than one year. The dealership is saying that the brakes need to be replaced more often because its an SUV. This makes no sense as we have owned other SUV's (Sequoia and the GX460) and neither required brake replacements this frequently. We placed a call to corporate and are awaiting a response.

Is anyone else having brake problems??

I have a 2010 LX 570 with 42,500 miles. (Purchased in October/2009)

I replaced the rear pads at 35,000 miles.

My fronts are due with my next oil change at 45,000 miles.

Given that it's a 6000 Lbs SUV, I think thats reasonable.

What you are experiencing seems to me unreasonable.

But brake's wear is obviously very dependent on whether you drive aggresively or not.

On a side note: Wierd that my rears needed replacement first.

Hope this helps. I love my car and just recommended one to a friend today.

(He just sold his 2003 LX470 with 250,000 miles and wants a new LX)

I think the operative word here is "Dealership". I am sure if you are using a Lexus dealership to replace your brakes, it is costing you an arm and a leg. If you are going through pads that quick, something is wrong. The brake system is sized for the vehicle under "normal" conditions. I don't care if you are driving a Mack truck, they shouldn't wear out that quick. Especially if the rears are going bad that soon too. Out of curiosity, I would take it to an independent shop or Midas and see what they say about the condition of your existing pads, front and rear. Why did you take it in to the shop in the first place? Did you hear squealing or a metallic, grinding sound? Or was it a routine service check and they decided it needs to be done?

My LS430 has sensors ($75.00 each)to set off a warning light if it they were to wear though. That means there is about 1/8" left on the pad and it is time to have them replaced. You might consider buying a complete set of HP rotors with matching Ceramic pads from a vendor or off the Bay. This may prove cheaper in the long run. I am sure this forum has plenty of experts on the subject and what kind of after market brakes are best for your application. You may want to give the city you are from and let someone here give you a name of a good and fair independent shop nearby.

On a side note, I use my gated shifter to downshift all the time from OD to 3rd gear. My brakes last a long, long time and it is not a strain on the tranny to do so.

jz

We purchased our 2011 LX570 new in december 2010. Both the front and rear brakes have already been replaced this year. Today, we were told that the brakes need to be replaced AGAIN!! The car has about 27,000 miles and this seems quite unusual to have to replace 3 sets of brakes in less than one year. The dealership is saying that the brakes need to be replaced more often because its an SUV. This makes no sense as we have owned other SUV's (Sequoia and the GX460) and neither required brake replacements this frequently. We placed a call to corporate and are awaiting a response.

Welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

I'm in my Den and I can smell this dealership all the way from there! In short, your situation does not pass the smell test.

I can't imagine in my wildest dreams how a brand new LX with 27,000 miles on it could possibly go through THREE sets of brakes in that time. If I recall 2nd grade, that's a set of brakes every 9,000 miles. And this is because "it's just an SUV".

My suggestion is try another Lexus dealer for an EVALUATION ONLY. This means you only want them to look at the wear on the brakes and rotors and see what they recommend. Don't do anything. Your looking for how they treat you, if you feel their honest and straight forward. That's all. Next, go to an independent mechanic (ask around for recommendations) I do not recommend Midas, Firestone, Sears or other high volume stores where I feel they go for volume and not expertise. See what the independent mechanic tells you. Does it ring true with anything else the others have said. If you wish, you might go to a Toyota dealer if you live in a area where there are no other Lexus dealers. They may be able to evaluate your brakes and give you some feeback about their wear and condition

Finally, what does your Owners Manual say about normal maintenance and checking intervals for certain parts.

Let's see what others say their getting for brake life intervals.....as they chime in.

Thanks for the info and we will bring it to another dealership this weekend for an evaluation. Still waiting to hear back from Corp. Will keep you posted.

Welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

I'm in my Den and I can smell this dealership all the way from there! In short, your situation does not pass the smell test.

I can't imagine in my wildest dreams how a brand new LX with 27,000 miles on it could possibly go through THREE sets of brakes in that time. If I recall 2nd grade, that's a set of brakes every 9,000 miles. And this is because "it's just an SUV".

My suggestion is try another Lexus dealer for an EVALUATION ONLY. This means you only want them to look at the wear on the brakes and rotors and see what they recommend. Don't do anything. Your looking for how they treat you, if you feel their honest and straight forward. That's all. Next, go to an independent mechanic (ask around for recommendations) I do not recommend Midas, Firestone, Sears or other high volume stores where I feel they go for volume and not expertise. See what the independent mechanic tells you. Does it ring true with anything else the others have said. If you wish, you might go to a Toyota dealer if you live in a area where there are no other Lexus dealers. They may be able to evaluate your brakes and give you some feeback about their wear and condition

Finally, what does your Owners Manual say about normal maintenance and checking intervals for certain parts.

Let's see what others say their getting for brake life intervals.....as they chime in.

Dealerships derive about 10% of their revenues, but about 50% of their profit, from their service departments. Last I checked, LX's are in short supply due to production problems in Japan. Seems as if the tactic here is "if you can't sell 'em, service the hell out of 'em."

But are you one of those 2-footed drivers who was taught to drive with your right foot on the gas and your left foot on the brake? I see vehicles all the time on the highway whose brake lights are constantly going on and off, while the vehicle never slows down. Driving with one foot on the brake pedal all the time is stupid, not a safe driving habit.