I Replaced The Lcd Display On My 97

poppabear

Would you all know if this is the same process for mine. I have a 98 ES300, but I have the Nakamichi stereo. The same thing has happened to my display also. I was thinking of replacing the entire system all together. Please let me know if you can help.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My LCD display for the head unit was turning dark. The radio tech says that the display is delaminating.

I got a replacement LCD display with interface module from David at:

jill allen [dabaysidejill01@worldnet.att.net]

for $125. It came with complete instructions for removing the head unit.

I was quoted $270 to replace the LCD from a radio repair shop. They also quoted $60 to replace if I provide the parts. David provides very detailed instructions with pictures for removing the radio.

Make certain to cover up your wood accent pieces and be careful of scratching the foam around the radio. The radio has lots of sharp edges that can damage your car. Also the sheet metal has sharp edges that can cut you.

The hardest part was removing the AC vents. I was considering buying a dash trim removal tool. It is a thin plastic blade, but I finally used the handle part of my nail clippers. It has a nice bent end that helps pry out the clips. You have to pry it out to the right of the LEXUS Premium Sound System logo. Then pry it out to the left of the warning flasher button. Then pry it out at the left top about 1 inch from the corner and then the right side about 1 inch from the corner. You have to exert a lot of force and it looks like you are damaging the foam molding.

Disconnect the two electrical wires.

You also have to pry out the filler strip under the climate control. Pry it out at the joint under the A/C button. Then pry it out under the Temperature knob. Gently pry it out by prying alternate sides.

This exposes the four bolts that hold the radio/climate control assembly. At this point it is pretty easy. Remove the bolts. Remove the bolts holding the radio in the holder. Remove the 2 bolts holding the climate control on one side. Take out two screws holding the face plate. Remove the bottom knobs. Pull off the face plate by undoing clips on the sides and bottom.

Remove the cable to the display. Remove two screws to remove the display. Put in the new one and reverse the procedure.

I had some scratches in the foam molding. I used car polish to buff them out.

Total time was about 2 hrs. If I had to do it again, it would take about 45 minutes.

My LCD display for the head unit was turning dark. The radio tech says that the display is delaminating.

I got a replacement LCD display with interface module from David at:

jill allen [dabaysidejill01@worldnet.att.net]

for $125. It came with complete instructions for removing the head unit.

I was quoted $270 to replace the LCD from a radio repair shop. They also quoted $60 to replace if I provide the parts. David provides very detailed instructions with pictures for removing the radio.

Make certain to cover up your wood accent pieces and be careful of scratching the foam around the radio. The radio has lots of sharp edges that can damage your car. Also the sheet metal has sharp edges that can cut you.

The hardest part was removing the AC vents. I was considering buying a dash trim removal tool. It is a thin plastic blade, but I finally used the handle part of my nail clippers. It has a nice bent end that helps pry out the clips. You have to pry it out to the right of the LEXUS Premium Sound System logo. Then pry it out to the left of the warning flasher button. Then pry it out at the left top about 1 inch from the corner and then the right side about 1 inch from the corner. You have to exert a lot of force and it looks like you are damaging the foam molding.

Disconnect the two electrical wires.

You also have to pry out the filler strip under the climate control. Pry it out at the joint under the A/C button. Then pry it out under the Temperature knob. Gently pry it out by prying alternate sides.

This exposes the four bolts that hold the radio/climate control assembly. At this point it is pretty easy. Remove the bolts. Remove the bolts holding the radio in the holder. Remove the 2 bolts holding the climate control on one side. Take out two screws holding the face plate. Remove the bottom knobs. Pull off the face plate by undoing clips on the sides and bottom.

Remove the cable to the display. Remove two screws to remove the display. Put in the new one and reverse the procedure.

I had some scratches in the foam molding. I used car polish to buff them out.

Total time was about 2 hrs. If I had to do it again, it would take about 45 minutes.

• 4 months later...