I Replaced The Lcd Display On My 97

poppabear

Just to confirm for anyone else out there with a 97 or same stereo lcd. the replacement fix is easy. I just wish that damn LCD didnt cost 90 bucks but better than paying dealer price or paying someone else 200 for a 15 minute job.....just a quick description for anyone who still needs it.....

1. Pry out ac vents above by pulling with one hadn from the middle then using flat screwdriver on other side to wedge it out. Two bolts to remove above stereo and then.

2. open up drink holder and pull out small black plastic piece to uncover 2 more bolts. Unscrew the 2 bolts. begin to pull unit forward.

3. Unplug I think a total of 2 harnesses one cable for ant and one more thing cable. To replace LCD screen the front will have some screws to remove and then you can unscrew the existing unit out. I personally pulled stereo out of brackets and did it on kitchen countertop but im sure some of yall could even do it in the car.

4. I think there were 2 cables that you unplugh from main board for old lcd and then replace with new unit....http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/part.asp?productNum=CWM4319+ 83.22 plus shipping. If only the LS400 ac LCD was such an easy fix!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping that someone can tell me if the LCD (STEREO) part number is the same for the 97 and 98. I have a 98 and would like to order the part through Pioneer without having to disassemble the center console just to look at the stereo's model number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If someone knows for sure that the 97 and 98 both have the same model stereo, that would suffice. Thanks again.

I am hoping that someone can tell me if the LCD (STEREO) part number is the same for the 97 and 98. I have a 98 and would like to order the part through Pioneer without having to disassemble the center console just to look at the stereo's model number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If someone knows for sure that the 97 and 98 both have the same model stereo, that would suffice. Thanks again.

I can tell you that a previous poster to this thread with a 98 used the same Pioneer LCD as I used for my 97. I bought the LCD directly from Pioneer. Part # is CWM4319 http://Parts.PioneerElectronics.com -or- 1-800-421-1404.

• 2 months later...

New to the Group, and Thanks for the guidance!!

Recently purchased my 97 ES300 with a broken radio LCD display. After reading these posts, it was reassuring that it was a fixable problem. With the instructions found here the entire job took 30 minutes.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I too just ordered the lcd for my 97 ES300. Have already got my radio out and ready for the swap. But I think the bigger question here should be that if so many of these are failing, why doesnt Lexus pick up the repair cost of getting these replaced. I had a Honda Accord back about 86 and some gizmo on the cruise control went out after the warranty had expired. After the job was finished I was told that the parts guy at the counter had called Honda on it, and that Honda said that it shouldnt have gone bad, and that Honda would pay for it under what was called a courtesy warranty. If Honda can do it, then why not Lexus. My 97 which is oyster pearl also had all the paint on the outside mirror attachments flake off, and I see that others here with 97 ES300 in oyster pearl have had that same problem with no help from Lexus. Yet when I took it back to the dealer for the radio and paint I was told "Sorry its out of warranty," but they were all too happy to try and get me to buy another new one. Dont think that another Lexus is in my future. I may swap my ES for a new Mazda 3 special edition.

• 6 months later...

I'd just like to add my thanks to Poppabear for solving the problem that's been bothering me for the last year. The instructions on how to replace the delaminated lcd display were perfect, and I accomplished the entire thing in just over half an hour. I agree that it appears to be a manufacturing defect that it would be nice for Lexus to address, but I'm not holding my breath.

At least the solution was relatively painless and nowhere near as expensive or difficult as I expected it to be.

Thanks again.

This post has been a BIG help in replacing my stereo LCD. It took me about one hour to do the switch, and that was in my garage at night with a couple of ceiling lights... would have been much easier in daytime. But it wasn't too difficult to do... it's so nice to have a brand new display!! Thanks again everyone!

• 10 months later...

I love this site! Needless to say, I had the same problem as everyone else here with the LCD. I've been living this for a few years, watching the the display gradually get darker until the whole thing was no longer readable. The instructions here were excellent. The experience also made me appreciate how Lexus/Toyota put their cars together -- simple and cleverly elegant. Thanks to everyone here for their comments that made this pain free.

I have the 98ES300, primum stereo and am having the same LCD problem, for a second time! I would love to replace the head unit with a unit that will take charge and display my ipod mini but I can't find a "fit kit" for the head unit. Any suggestions?

Ridiculous that we are all having the same issue with the LCD display on our units...mine has blacked out and I can no longer decipher what station I'm listening to or which CD track I'm playing. Is this the 'delamination' issue...or is this simply a bulb issue?

Is it worth the hassle to fix or simply replace with another radio (as I'm leaning towards).

Ridiculous that we are all having the same issue with the LCD display on our units...mine has blacked out and I can no longer decipher what station I'm listening to or which CD track I'm playing. Is this the 'delamination' issue...or is this simply a bulb issue?

Is it worth the hassle to fix or simply replace with another radio (as I'm leaning towards).

Welcome to LOC!

It is cheaper to fix then replace with radio.

Welcome to LOC!

If anyone is interested in a lcd replacement let me know, Or If you want a headunit instead. Either way.

Just dropping in here to help out. :cheers:

Welcome to LOC!

If anyone is interested in a lcd replacement let me know, Or If you want a headunit instead. Either way.

Just dropping in here to help out. :cheers:

Thanks for the welcome guys...joined about a year ago and have been peeping occasionally now. I'm really enjoying and appreciative of the advice you guys have been giving here :cheers:

I love this site! Needless to say, I had the same problem as everyone else here with the LCD. I've been living this for a few years, watching the the display gradually get darker until the whole thing was no longer readable. The instructions here were excellent. The experience also made me appreciate how Lexus/Toyota put their cars together -- simple and cleverly elegant. Thanks to everyone here for their comments that made this pain free.

I ordered my new display yesterday from Pioneer. I just hope my "install" is "pain-free", also. ;)

Well, I replaced the LCD in the ol' 98 ES300. It took me about an hour because of my stupidity. I forgot I had a cassette in the unit. When I disassembled the unit to replace the LCD, Bonehead here removed the cassette by "light" force - HUGE mistake. :chairshot: Once the entire unit was in the dash again, the unit will not accept a cassette. Oh well, one thing is I hardly ever used the cassette player anyway (mostly CD changer) and I have a crystal clear display to enjoy. Long story short, great instructions in the FIRST post - Thanks very much. ;)

• 3 months later...

I have the 98ES300, primum stereo and am having the same LCD problem, for a second time! I would love to replace the head unit with a unit that will take charge and display my ipod mini but I can't find a "fit kit" for the head unit. Any suggestions?

This might work

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-8155

or even better

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JFFA...TF8&seller=

• 3 weeks later...

This might work

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-8155

or even better

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JFFA...TF8&seller=

Thank you brother. You have given me hope! :)

Pioneer is out of stock on part # CWM4319.

Where else can I get this?

Thanks.

Google is your friend... just ordered mine this morning. :D

Here ya go!

Thanks, Just ordered mine.

Partstore.com just sent me an e-mail. They are out of stock also.

Does anyone know who has this part in stock?

Thanks.

• 7 months later...
Well, I replaced the LCD in the ol' 98 ES300. It took me about an hour because of my stupidity. I forgot I had a cassette in the unit. When I disassembled the unit to replace the LCD, Bonehead here removed the cassette by "light" force - HUGE mistake.:chairshot: Once the entire unit was in the dash again, the unit will not accept a cassette. Oh well, one thing is I hardly ever used the cassette player anyway (mostly CD changer) and I have a crystal clear display to enjoy. Long story short, great instructions in the FIRST post - Thanks very much. ;)

Any chance you might have the exact Part Number?

And where from?