Wheel Braring

Hello,

I have 78k miles on 02 es 300

VA State inspection failed due to play in the front driver wheel.

My question, is what makes wheel bearing go bad? Just 2 months back I had alignment done and everything was fine.

One guy told me he can tighten it. goodyear told me it needs to be replaced as it is one unit, no adjustment. Not sure who is right..

Also are there any other symptoms? I don't get any noise (low or high speed or on turns). Is that typical? or there is something else wrong? I also heard that there is inner and outer bearing, is that true on 02 es 300?

Dealer wants 550 to replace wheel bearing but local shops (good year) wants 350, is that reasonable?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

S

the wheel bearing is a sealed bearing that is pressed into the hub. Bearing is around $50, but the labor to remove and replaced it jacks the price. Their is no tightening it...unless the axle nut is loose....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Well, I got wheel bearing replaced by local goodyear. I can see that there is NO play on the wheel. However, I am noticing different problems. Whenever I tap brakes lightly (very light), I hear some clicking noise. If I press brakes little harder there is no noise..not sure what is that :-(

I also noticed that same strut, if I press hard makes clicking noise. All other struts don't make noise. Bounce feel the same. Also on right turn, (especially on exit/entrance ramp) I can hear some clicking noise :-(

Any idea where that noise is coming from?

Thanks

S

the strut is held on by a bearing assembly on top which is attached with three nuts...The strut (shock) itself goes through the center and has a flat spot that is supposed to seat into the bearing assembly...That nut could be loose on top which holds the strut tight to the mount...