Brake Lights

KWP

TO: CDULUK:

I sent this once, but it doestn't appear to have gone through. I apologize if this duplicates the earlier message.

First, thanks for replying. I have put break light bulbs in other cars and it's never taken more than 20 minutes. I thought the same would happen here. Boy, was I wrong.

I have a 2004 RX330. The break light on the passenger side doesn't work. I've taken it apart and it has the LED lights with the pane of 10 tiny bulbs. None come on. Therefore, I am assuming (guesing) that it might be a switch or something else. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

KWP

Is it the actual "brake light" function (the light that comes on when you press the brake) or the regular nighttime lights (always on at night) that aren't working? Or both?

The 04-09 RX330/350 tail lights are very "weird" in the sense that they use both halogen bulbs (like normal cars) AND LED's as well. There is a single filament bulb in the dead center of the tail light which illuminates the entire reflector "at night". And when you press the brake, the 10 or so LED's on the reflector itself then illuminate to increase brightness.

If you do in fact have no "brake light" function, then it's probably a loose wire somewhere. If it's simply the "nighttime" light that isn't coming on, then you might want to replace the center halogen bulb.

You may also want to try removing the tail light from the other side of the car and plugging it into the side that's broken. If the tail light works normal, then you know the issue is within the tail light and not somewhere else in the car. If this is the case then you may be able to find a used tail light on ebay and switch it out.

Here's a rough sketch i put together. Note the "exact" locations of the LED's might not be accurate...

66aus7.jpg

LED's don't burn out... So if they're not coming on, then you've got a wiring issue. This seems to be a common problem among these models, but after doing a few google searches it seems no one has figured this one out.... :unsure:

It's not the illumuniation light, the one that is dead center. That works fine. It's the brake light that is suppose to come on when you step on the brake. I wasn't sure if the brake lights left and right were the same or mirror immages of each other. I will give the exchange of the two a try and see if that works. If not, then onward to the dealer. I could have taken this to the dealer today. But, I started this, and I'm going to finish it. Thanks for your help.

KWP

• 3 years later...

2002.None of the brake lights come on when required. Fuses are good, Changed out a bulb, no change, pulled pedal switch out and found continuity with button extended. Haven't tried using cruise control recently but was working. May get new switch anyway. Any other suggestions?