Rx300 Antenna Sometimes Doesn't Go Up All The Way

Dave_02RX300

I have a 2002 RX300 (only about 75k miles).

The radio antenna sometimes doesn't go up all the way, just an inch sometimes, about a foot other times. And sometimes it indeed goes up all the way.

I thought it was dirt and crud on the mast, so I cleaned that, and I must admit, I put some light lube on it, wiped it off, and that seemed to fix it for a day.

When I'm driving, and it doesn't go all the way up, I can turn the radio off/on once or twice more, and that seem to motivate it to go up 100%.

More history: This car is/was a certified pre-owned, and I was advised by a friend, who has the 2001 model, that if it ever makes any funny noise from the antenna, or any kind of aberration from normal operation of the antenna, tell the dealer about it. So about 3 years ago, when it was still under CPO warranty, I had the antenna replaced by the dealer. So this is actually antenna #2.

My guess is there is some magical part deep inside there that is not broken yet, but about to break, which will make the antenna stay down (or up) for ever.

I have read many of the posts here about the antenna, and obviously it is a weak part of this model of Lexus. I'm pretty good at doing mechanical jobs, but the antenna sounds a bit out of my comfort zone, and if a dealer will fix/replace it for 100$ that sounds like a good deal - if it's 600$ as I expect it would be, I'll live with this even after it breaks.

What are your thoughts? Is is possible to clean something up in there before this breaks all the way. Sorry about the long post - I'm still a bit hypnotized by Tofu's avatar.

Thanks

-Dave

In all probability, the geared nylon tail piece on the antenna mast has stripped or broken. It's a common occurrence on older vehicles. Here is a writeup that tells you everything you need to do to replace it as a DIY project. It really isn't difficult and if you have decent mechanical aptitude, this should be an easy fix. I've replaced mine as have many others. Here's the link I found on the forum searching on "RX300 antenna replace". There were other posts you might want to read for other info; perhaps some with pics.

Here's the link: Antenna Mast Replacement

Lotsa luck.

I have a 2002 RX300 (only about 75k miles).

The radio antenna sometimes doesn't go up all the way, just an inch sometimes, about a foot other times. And sometimes it indeed goes up all the way.

I thought it was dirt and crud on the mast, so I cleaned that, and I must admit, I put some light lube on it, wiped it off, and that seemed to fix it for a day.

When I'm driving, and it doesn't go all the way up, I can turn the radio off/on once or twice more, and that seem to motivate it to go up 100%.

More history: This car is/was a certified pre-owned, and I was advised by a friend, who has the 2001 model, that if it ever makes any funny noise from the antenna, or any kind of aberration from normal operation of the antenna, tell the dealer about it. So about 3 years ago, when it was still under CPO warranty, I had the antenna replaced by the dealer. So this is actually antenna #2.

My guess is there is some magical part deep inside there that is not broken yet, but about to break, which will make the antenna stay down (or up) for ever.

I have read many of the posts here about the antenna, and obviously it is a weak part of this model of Lexus. I'm pretty good at doing mechanical jobs, but the antenna sounds a bit out of my comfort zone, and if a dealer will fix/replace it for 100$ that sounds like a good deal - if it's 600$ as I expect it would be, I'll live with this even after it breaks.

What are your thoughts? Is is possible to clean something up in there before this breaks all the way. Sorry about the long post - I'm still a bit hypnotized by Tofu's avatar.

Thanks

-Dave

I believe I have read somewhere that if you select the AM band the antenna will extend fully, for FM it goes to a "tuned" position as a function of the FM station frequency.

I believe I have read somewhere that if you select the AM band the antenna will extend fully, for FM it goes to a "tuned" position as a function of the FM station frequency.

But all the antenna positions that might be called "tuned" have the antenna extended by far more just an inch or a foot. I never measured but I don't think the antenna on my previous Lexus lowered more than 10 inches from fully extended as radio frequencies changed.

Thanks - after owning this car for 6 years, I never noticed if antenna height = f(tuner frequency). You sure?

In any case, it doesn't go up all the way - when I get some time, I will review the excellent link-to-post above about fixing/replacing instructions.

-Dave

Thanks - after owning this car for 6 years, I never noticed if antenna height = f(tuner frequency). You sure?

I looked at the 02 RX300 owners manual and saw nothing about it's antenna automagically adjusting based on radio frequency like the antenna in my first Lexus (LS400) did. The automatically adjusting antenna was very noticeable in my old LS when searching through radio frequencies when the engine was not running. If your RX had a similar feature, you likely would have noticed.

I looked at the 02 RX300 owners manual and saw nothing about it's antenna automagically adjusting based on radio frequency like the antenna in my first Lexus (LS400) did. The automatically adjusting antenna was very noticeable in my old LS when searching through radio frequencies when the engine was not running. If your RX had a similar feature, you likely would have noticed.

Ops is an '09. And I agree that the adjustment is less than 10" from full height.

Haven't actually watched on my '01 RX but I'm pretty sure I have heard the antenna motor run as I switch from AM to FM. On the other hand many Lexii with upscale autio have "diversity" antennas, distance displaced dual antennas, to prevent "picket-fencing", rapid in and out signal fading, due to the multi-path effects of the FM signal.

• 6 months later...

Thanks everyone - I got it fixed. I bought the full unit online and installed it (motor + antenna).

I cannot find links to all the posts I read about this topic.

However, they fell into two categores:

a) you need to replace the antenna mast

B) you need to replace the whole shebang motor and mast.

Anyone reading this post should look for the details about a and b above first. The mast-only replacement is much less expensive (about 25$ vs. 175$). But much harder.

In a way I was lucky - I had to replace the entire motor and mast.

I found the exact replacement at autopartswarehouse.com, and the part was called:

Part #: W0133-1740786

2000-2002 Lexus RX300 OES Genuine Antenna Antenna RX300|Base

OES Genuine

Indeed, it had the exact same numbers and markings as the unit I removed. Including the Made in Mexico ;-)

At first it was daunting to try to replace the unit. And I wish I could find the motivating post, but one contributor said you literally have to take the entire trunk apart. Well, that was a bit over the top - but you will have to remove a heck of a lot of those plastic snaps, and remove quite a few panels on the inside, and remove much of the spare tire plastic to get at the thing - you'll know when to stop. Then it's just the outside lock nut (I used a screwdriver and a mallet to rotate it), and two bolts on the inside.

Electrical connections were the wire harness which only fits on one way, and the RF connector.

There is a long black rubber hose that disappears down a hole, and you just gently pull that out.

Question: What is that water hose used for, that shares space with the antenna tail? Just wondering.

Thanks everyone for all the details in many many posts, regarding the antenna. And for the "you can do it yourself" motivation gained from reading those posts. BTW - the dealer wanted 600-800$ to replace this. So, you better do it yourself.

-Dave