Radio Amp On Sc430 Mark Levinson

barpin

I have a 2005 SC430 and I am having problems with the Radio. Sometimes it works when I turn on the engine, after a few minutes, no sound will come from the speakers. In an effort to determine where the problem is occuring, I used the navigation system, and found that the sound worked. So the problem must be the radio. I took the car into Lexus, and they said it would cost $1100 to replace the amp. Really? Does anyone know where I can get the radio repaired. I don't want to spend $1100 on an amp. My 2004 SUV RX330 doesn't have any problems with the radio, and that car has over 100,000 miles. This car only has 62,000.

I have a 2005 SC430 and I am having problems with the Radio. Sometimes it works when I turn on the engine, after a few minutes, no sound will come from the speakers. In an effort to determine where the problem is occuring, I used the navigation system, and found that the sound worked. So the problem must be the radio. I took the car into Lexus, and they said it would cost $1100 to replace the amp. Really? Does anyone know where I can get the radio repaired. I don't want to spend $1100 on an amp. My 2004 SUV RX330 doesn't have any problems with the radio, and that car has over 100,000 miles. This car only has 62,000.

Based upon what you have said, the dealer is probably correct in saying that it needs a new amplifier. The sound system is made up of the "Head Unit", radio part so to speak, the "Amplifier", provides the power for the speakers and other components; and the "Signal Source's", such as Sat. radio, CD, mp3, etc.

If it works when you "turn it on using the navigation", that really doesn't sound like much. The source of the sound signal can only come from the one place, and that is what ever your listening to at that moment...CD Ipod, radio,etc. In order to play any of those source devices the amplifier must be working at all times. It must be sending power to the output side of the system if you are to hear a note.

The navigation has nothing to do with the radio or the amplifier or the input sources. It merely provides software to control the panels. So when you say it works using the Navigation but not the radio I get lost. I'm going to go by the assumption that IF the DEALER did a diagnostic, it determined that in fact the amp was at fault as is the case with so many Mark Levinson amplifiers around that vintage. It has nothing to do with how many miles your car has on it, (electronics don't wear down over miles driven like tires. They suffer more from heat and extreme heat such as summer parking lot's) To repair the amp I would suggest e-bay, or on this board there is a authorized Lexus audio vendor going by "dcfish". He has a large inventory of Lexus audio parts and you can feel free to PM him.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Please write back and let us know how and if you were able to resolve the problem.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem with the ML stereo system on my 2001 GS430. I've read so many posts in

this website that points to solving the problem by replacing the ML amp. I'm thinking I may not have

to replace the amp because of one symptom that so far looks unique in my case. The last 3 times I've

gone for a carwash - the stero system works ! The sound is excellent and all the controls also work

fine. However, this will only last at the most only 1 day, then it's back to no sound. I can't be going to

a carwash everyday just to be able to listen to music while I'm driving. LOL.

So to me, it looks like there's a 'bad' connection is some of the wiring to the amp. I'm going to have to

do a DIY and look at this myself, and hope to fix this bad connection.

Anyone else out there experience this ? Stereo works termporarily after a carwash ?

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

I have a similar problem with a twist.  Although the fuses are both good and everything else powered through those fuses operates well, the radio unit seems to be "dead" and likewise the antenna.  The radio does not light up when turned on and the antenna does not go up and down.  I certainly do not know anything about electricity, but that doesn't sound like an amplifier problem, does it?  What could it be, short of a $650 diagnosis by the dealer?