Any Lexus Owners From Md ?

korhan

Hello Good people,

I would be glad if you could recommend a place to replace my rear shocs. I just had a bad experience at the dealer , and I wish to find another place. (I am new in MD)

I have a 2004 ls 430 @ 55,000 miles.

According to the online part stores , I dont use air shocks. I think the brand name available is KYB. (hope this is the original brand)

I just became a member , so my first post .

Thanks ! Have a great day

I've got just the guy for you:

LXT Automotive: 301-881-4033. He's in Rockville.

Ask for Nelson, he's the owner. Tell him Steve Withrow sent you. He will take GREAT care of you.

He's a certified Lexus master tech, was at Lexus of Silver Spring for like 16 years, started his own shop in I believe 2004. I've been using him for 5 years or so. He is AWESOME. Great guy, very knowledgable about the cars, uses OEM parts and knows where to get them at the best prices. Incredibly honest, just a once in a lifetime find.

korhan, are your rear shocks leaking or something? 55,000 miles is awfully early for shocks on an LS to wear out.

And, yes, there are really good independent Lexus repair shops around. I've been using the same independent Lexus repair shop here in Kansas since 1996 - owned by a former Lexus dealer service writer and staffed by former Lexus dealer mechanics. It's so nice not depending on the local Lexus dealer where all they are interested in is "upselling" unneeded services and milking me for as much revenue as possible.

I've got just the guy for you:

LXT Automotive: 301-881-4033. He's in Rockville.

Ask for Nelson, he's the owner. Tell him Steve Withrow sent you. He will take GREAT care of you.

He's a certified Lexus master tech, was at Lexus of Silver Spring for like 16 years, started his own shop in I believe 2004. I've been using him for 5 years or so. He is AWESOME. Great guy, very knowledgable about the cars, uses OEM parts and knows where to get them at the best prices. Incredibly honest, just a once in a lifetime find.

Thank you!! I will call him and get an appointment

Just realized its 45 miles away , I will plan this for a weekend perhaps

Edited by korhan

korhan, are your rear shocks leaking or something? 55,000 miles is awfully early for shocks on an LS to wear out.

And, yes, there are really good independent Lexus repair shops around. I've been using the same independent Lexus repair shop here in Kansas since 1996 - owned by a former Lexus dealer service writer and staffed by former Lexus dealer mechanics. It's so nice not depending on the local Lexus dealer where all they are interested in is "upselling" unneeded services and milking me for as much revenue as possible.

That is exactly what they do!

I can see that left rear one is leaking , and I keep hearing abnormal sound. It is time to find new repair shops in town :) Thank you for your reply

Welcome to LOC! :cheers:

I am from MD...I use Sheehy Lexus. Not sure what part of MD you are from but you may want to look for a good indy?

Thank you!

I am from Lutherville area , and I will google sheehy lexus !

...I can see that left rear one is leaking , and I keep hearing abnormal sound. It is time to find new repair shops in town :) Thank you for your reply

In addition to finding the right place to work on the car, you can save a lot by avoiding unnecessary work. I replaced all shocks on my '91 at around 170k miles. After removing and inspecting, I'd say maybe one of them needed to be replaced, and probably none of the strut mounts (I replaced all 4). Sure it drove better when I was done, and it did not cost too much since I did it myself. But I bet it would have been fine to let it go for another 50k miles.

So I'll recommend to have them carefully inspected by someone you can trust. But be wary of suggestions to just replace them all because one is leaking. It could be just that one shock and maybe one strut mount.

If the shocks had been designed to last 80k miles (or 50k miles, like the shock/strut manufacturers would have you believe), it might make sense to replace them in pairs, or all 4 at this point. But if they're really designed to last 200+k miles (as it seems they are, at least for the Gen 1), maybe that is not the case.