2012 Rx350 Seat Belt Chime

lazersharp

I just got a brand new 2012 RX350 AWD and I like it more than I thought I would. This seat belt chime however is so annoying. A few suggestions I have found on this forum, which works on other models, (it worked on my old 2008 GS) but it doesn't work on my new RX. I am sure that there is a way, but it is different than on older models.

It would be great if someone who knows could post it here...?

By the way following, which works on many older models isn't working on new 2012 RX350 and perhaps on 2011 as well. Anybody has a new fix?

1) Turn the Car 'ON', but do not start the engine (Leave your foot off the brake). Cycle your trip reset knob until it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.

2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened

3) Turn the ignition back on, do not start the car (Leave you foot off the break) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a long 12 second count.

4) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt, as soon as you fasten your seat belt, you should see the ODO display go from XXXX miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". You should be all set and turn the ignition off and unfasten your seat belt.

Maybe for 2012 the RX chime is computer controlled like the Toyota Tundra.

In that case you will have to have the dealer hook up the Techstream software/laptop and change the settings on the car's computer.

Since it is a new car with warranty you should be able to have the first computer adjustment done at the dealership for free.

Do some research about other things you might want changed on the car's computer since generally the dealer charges for subsequent changes. There are several adjustments that can be made.

Here is a .pdf file of the options for 2008.

LexusOptions.pdf

Why would you want to turn the seat belt chime off? Seat belt use is required by law in all Canadian provinces (including Quebec) and many US states and the chime reminds us to put the belt on. If you don't put the belt on the chime goes off automatically after a minute or so anyway, which is probably quicker than all this turning the RX off and on and pushing trip reset buttons, etc., etc.

Why would you want to turn the seat belt chime off? Seat belt use is required by law in all Canadian provinces (including Quebec) and many US states and the chime reminds us to put the belt on. If you don't put the belt on the chime goes off automatically after a minute or so anyway, which is probably quicker than all this turning the RX off and on and pushing trip reset buttons, etc., etc.

I am not inquiring about not wearing the seat belt. I am just trying to find out how to turn of this annoying seat belt chime. I will still wear the seat belt, but won't be reminded with this terrible sound in case I am a few seconds late. The procedure which was working on most of previous models isn't working on 2012 RX and I assume the same on 2011RX and 2010RX as well. It worked on my 2008 GS

I know there is a way to do it. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could post it here.... Thanks

If the procedure is not in the manual then call the dealer's service department and ask how it is done.

that would be like calling a police station and asking for instructions how to rob the bank.

You won't know until you try it. All the dealership can say is "No, we won't do it".

It is the same with the Toyota Tundra. The driver's side and the passenger's side chimes are separate entries in the Techstream when attached to the ECU. Some dealerships will turn them off, others will not. Still others will turn off the passenger's but not the driver's.

Every once in a while you can slip a tip to the Techstream guy and he will do it.

That is, if the chime in the 2012 is controlled by the ECU and not the owner's input.

You won't know until you try it. All the dealership can say is "No, we won't do it".

It is the same with the Toyota Tundra. The driver's side and the passenger's side chimes are separate entries in the Techstream when attached to the ECU. Some dealerships will turn them off, others will not. Still others will turn off the passenger's but not the driver's.

Every once in a while you can slip a tip to the Techstream guy and he will do it.

That is, if the chime in the 2012 is controlled by the ECU and not the owner's input

I guess I will give it a try, I have nothing to lose. BTW what do you mean by owners input?

That is, if the chime in the 2012 is controlled by the ECU and not the owner's input

I guess I will give it a try, I have nothing to lose. BTW what do you mean by owners input?

BTW what do you mean by owners input?

Sorry for the confusing term. "Owner's input" would just be doing the adjustment yourself as as been done in past model years.

As mentioned before, if it could be done by the owner then the owner's manual would describe how to do it.

In the U.S. the legal requirement is to have a "notification" that the seat belt is not connected. The dash light suffices so the chime can legally be turned off. Canada may have different requirements.

The dealer is supposed to provide one complimentary Techstream adjustment on new car purchases to your specifications. Post #3 has the list of adjustments for 2008 but many are likely the same for the 2012 model.

BTW, if it can be done by Techstream, there are adapter cables to hook up a laptop and a subscription to the Techstream software that can enable you to do it yourself. It is expensive.

Another option is to advertise on Craigslist or similar that you want it done and the amount you are willing to pay.

BTW what do you mean by owners input?

Sorry for the confusing term. "Owner's input" would just be doing the adjustment yourself as as been done in past model years.

As mentioned before, if it could be done by the owner then the owner's manual would describe how to do it.

In the U.S. the legal requirement is to have a "notification" that the seat belt is not connected. The dash light suffices so the chime can legally be turned off. Canada may have different requirements.

The dealer is supposed to provide one complimentary Techstream adjustment on new car purchases to your specifications. Post #3 has the list of adjustments for 2008 but many are likely the same for the 2012 model.

BTW, if it can be done by Techstream, there are adapter cables to hook up a laptop and a subscription to the Techstream software that can enable you to do it yourself. It is expensive.

Another option is to advertise on Craigslist or similar that you want it done and the amount you are willing to pay.

Thanks a lot for explanation and your advice. I will definitely have it done soon or later, one way or the other. The buzzer is so annoying. I wish to add that I do wear the seat belt 99.9%, but there are specific times when the belt is not needed and the buzzer drives me crazy. I did it myself in a few steps on my 2008 GS350 AVD. But as you say, I'll have to have it done on my new RX by someone who has the Techstream.

• 3 months later...

I first asked the dealer I bought my '10 RX350 from to make the change and shut off the chime. He said they couldn't do it. I later called another dealer and he said they could but I'd already used up my "free" settings change visit. The service manager suggested I ask to have it done if I have something else needed that will access the computer. I've found a problem that should be under warranty and I'll ask for the seat belt reset at the same time.

A lot to go through for a simple thing . . .

Maybe for 2012 the RX chime is computer controlled like the Toyota Tundra.

In that case you will have to have the dealer hook up the Techstream software/laptop and change the settings on the car's computer.

Since it is a new car with warranty you should be able to have the first computer adjustment done at the dealership for free.

Do some research about other things you might want changed on the car's computer since generally the dealer charges for subsequent changes. There are several adjustments that can be made.

Here is a .pdf file of the options for 2008.

LexusOptions.pdf

There is a much more complete, comprehensive C-BEST list of options that the (st,d)ealer can set at your request.

What are the procedures for a 2010 rx 350

If the directions are not in your owner's manual it can't be done by an owner.

Still waiting on someone to try it on a new RX with Techstream.

There is a much more complete, comprehensive C-BEST list of options that the (st,d)ealer can set at your request.

And what exactly would those be? I've watched techs go through the menus on handheld Lexus scantools using the appropriate program cards and we never saw any CBES/LPS settings that are not on the published lists. I do remember that some settings that are available in other world markets are either "grayed out" or marked with something like "not available" when the scantool is connected to a U.S. spec Lexus.