Main Power Steering Supply Line Leak At New Pump

DIY31

I replaced the PS Steering pump in my 95 LS400. The problem I am having is the main supply line will not stop leaking. I don’t know if I’m missing a washer, gasket or something I’m unaware of. What I have now is a copper washer on the pump side and a copper washer on the other side with the bolt through and tightened. Can you tell me if I am missing something or doing something wrong? It is leaking right at the connection to the new PS pump.

Thank you.

If it is leaking at the banjo union as you describe you could try replacing the 2 copper washers, I assume that the bolt on the union is torqued to the correct specification?

Yes the copper washers are new. I did not check the torque spec but will. Would you think to much would cause it to leak?

I don't think the copper washers are the crush type so over tightening should not cause leaks.I seem to remember cases where the pipe has failed due to the joint between the banjo union and the pipe when the pump has been replaced. This is the high pressure line so I would think the bolt torque is critical to obtaining a good seal.

The pump casing is aluminum so make sure you haven't cross threaded the bolt.

I replaced the PS Steering pump in my 95 LS400. The problem I am having is the main supply line will not stop leaking. I don’t know if I’m missing a washer, gasket or something I’m unaware of. What I have now is a copper washer on the pump side and a copper washer on the other side with the bolt through and tightened. Can you tell me if I am missing something or doing something wrong? It is leaking right at the connection to the new PS pump.

Thank you.

Where did you buy the new pump?

Thank you.

Where did you buy the new pump?

Do you guys know a good aftermarket brand for the P/S Pump? I know OEM is the best, but even working at dealership my cost is still around $500.00

I honestly just don't have that much $$ right now to spare, and I was looking for a cheaper alternative. I've always been a OE kind of person, but I just want to see if there's an alternative before I start saving up..