'04 Es-330 No Radio/cd Audio, Nav Audio Ok

My radio audio and CD audio has disappeared on a 2004 ES-330 with nav.

Nav audio continues to work.

The screen has stopped beeping when touched, the volume control does not make the volume numbers appear in the upper right of the display, and I can't change the equalizer or balance settings, both of which have reverted to their default center positions (not where they were when it was working).

Pushing the volume button toggles the "AUDIO OFF" display.

The radio itself seems to be working - presets are there, I can change stations, the embedded data displays, the FM Stereo indicator lights. Also, the CD changer changes CD's and the single player changes tracks.

It just won't make a sound.

Since the nav audio works, I assume the amp works, and it's something else. Perhaps there's some "turn the amplifier on" trigger that isn't triggering?

Any help appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

My radio audio and CD audio has disappeared on a 2004 ES-330 with nav.

After further investigation, I found the 25 amp fuse for the amplifier was blown. Replacing it resulted in the new fuse blowing immediately, before turning on the ignition.

So it appears I have either a shorted amplifier, or a short somewhere in the wiring harness.

I thought the amp got a "turn on" signal from the head end, which makes it somewhat unusual that the fuse should blow immediately...

Next step tomorrow is to unplug the amp, and see if a new fuse blows again. If it does, there's a wiring harness issue, and if not, I guess the amp has a short.

Anyone know of any place that repairs the ML amps?

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's the inexpensive solution for the problem. The Mark Levinson Power Amp in the trunk has shorted out. It's easy to replace but the cost for a 2004 ES330  Amp is exorbitant ($325 to $1,000), as is the cost to repair one on on Ebay being close to $500. Almost any newer Mark Levinson Amp will do the job. I bought a used unit from a 2006 RX330 for $150. The important part is, that the Amplifier has the starting number 86280 on the label, the last 5 digits are not important. It has to look like this picture, although it may not have the mounting brackets on it.

Here is how to remove the old amp :

Then you must replace the fuse that the old Amp has burned out. It is located in the car cabin just to the left of the steering wheel, behind the change compartment door. Open the compartment door and pull up firmly to remove whole compartment. Look for fuse number 59, which is 25 amps, and replace it.

Make sure the replacement Amp look like this picture:59d5afe049a2d_86280Amp.thumb.jpg.a237e7abc75685c2b928c80bcd6ffb1a.jpg

Total repair $154

Blue11,

You have done a great service for the ES330 community! Too often on these car forums (I follow 12 different ones for each of the vehicles and garden tractors I own, and Moderate a forum for the RV I own as well) we try to solve an issue for a member ... and we never get feedback!!!

To have the very useful followup you have given here is a godsend. Even though we no longer own a ES330 (my wife has moved on to an ES350), I still follow this forum to help out wherever I can. To see the pictures and followup you've supplied is just what the doctor ordered. Just wish more people would do the same.

Thank You, on behalf of those owners with a ES330 who you may have helped!

• 1 year later...

Hello... I'm new to the group and I just experienced this audio/amp issue just recently. I do have a question regarding the amp's part number. The one I just pulled out had a part number 86280-0W100 and after researching my options of finding a shop to repair it or just find one on ebay, I chose ebay instead. A shop wanted over $500 and that's an outrageous price. So the one I just purchased exact Mark Levinson Power Amp from a guy on ebay but after committing to it, I realized the part number wasn't exactly the same as my old one. The one that's is coming is a 86280-0W100-A and apparently it came out of a 2002 ES330 car.... so what does the A stand for? Will it still work as a replacement amp???

Hi Rob,

All the amplifiers, that are the same physical shape, will all work. Sometimes the different number just means that the GPS voice will come out of the left or maybe the right speaker instead of the default location.

********* It is very important to change the fuse No 59 ************** after you install the power amp.

Bon chance,

Les

1 hour ago, Manco said:

Hi Rob,

All the amplifiers, that are the same physical shape, will all work. Sometimes the different number just means that the GPS voice will come out of the left or maybe the right speaker instead of the default location.

********* It is very important to change the fuse No 59 ************** after you install the power amp.

Bon chance,

Les

Thanks on the info...... yes I'll change out the 25 amp #59 location fuse.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to thank the writers to this post. I have a ES 330 with the same problem and after much searching I am glad I found this post. I was debating the the part number and this gave me clarification. So thanks again for the clear and complete information.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok Im having this same issue except I am adding an aftermarket amp and replaced my blown 8” sub with an aftermarket 8” sub. I wired my amp properly and a line out converter as stated by instructions and now i have no sound no volume numbers when turning up n down and no control over the sound (ie right left front rear) and it changed to no center channel i believe it is but regardless you cant change any of it now and the same no beep when touching controls but ive looked in behind my change thingy in fuse box and i see no numbers whatsoever (ie #59) and ive changed or looked at every fuse in that box none seem blown no burnt filaments etc . Ive installed many systems but this is getting very frustrating and im losing my patience. Im hardheaded n keep trying different things but im stymied now. Please help someone.  

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I posted last week about the Nav/radio going blank.  Totally unresponsive.  Well today, I had to charge my relatively new car battery in order to get it to start AND, the radio/Nav system turned back on and is working fine (for now?!).  I'm still going to try to have this system checked out.  Any thoughts????