Why Are My Tires Wearing Out So Fast (20,000 Miles)?

Hello,

This is the second straight set of Pilot Sport A/S Pluses that lasted only about 20,000 miles, even the tires are 500 tire wear rated and warranted for 45,000 miles. I got a 35% discount on the most recent set due to their short life.

Some other details are that I have the tires rotated every 5,000 miles and keep the alignment in check (by the dealer), I keep the pressure at 40 psi in the front and 44 in the rear (keep in mind that this is a 600hl and is supposed to be about 4 psi higher in the rear).

The tires are wearing on the edges, not the center. Seems like low pressure, but 40+ seems fine. (the spec is 36 front and 38 rear cold).

Oh, they are stand size tires, 245/45/ 19" stock rims.

Since it is, alas, time for tires again, any ideas?

Thanks,

Hank

:cheers:

I think you will find your answer in a footnote at http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/LSh/2008.html :

"[12]18-in or 19-in tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 15,000 miles, depending on driving conditions. Please see your Lexus dealer for details and other information relating to tire selection."

I think you will find your answer in a footnote at http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/LSh/2008.html :

"[12]18-in or 19-in tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 15,000 miles, depending on driving conditions. Please see your Lexus dealer for details and other information relating to tire selection."

I've seen that for the OEM tires with low tire wear ratings. The issue is that I switched to the Michelins with 500 TW and a 45,000 wear warranty. Sure Michelin gives me a discount for replacements, but it is still annoying. As another point of reference, my LS430 had the same comment, and that did occur on the OEM tires, as soon as I switched to Michelins I was getting over 50,000 miles per set.

It almost seems like an alignment issue, but I do have that checked. My sense it that it might be occurring on the rear tires due to the extra weight of the battery.

:cheers:

• 9 months later...

I am in L.A. with concrete pavements that eat up tires. However, I am a easy on tires and breaks for some reason.

I replaced OEM Dunlop tires on my 2007 LS at about 30K. Currently, I have Kumho Excsta LX Platinum. I highly recommend this tire. Better tire than Bridgestone and Dunlop at about $100 less per tire. Quiet, nice ride with very good handling in wet or dry. Go see the survey and reviews for this tire at tirerack.com.

Kumho lowered the warr. to 60K. when I checked the Kumho site. I am forced to replace all tires due to what my guess is a toe out alignment issue causing a premature wear on the inside of my tires. Had it not been for this problem I believe I would have easily reached 60-70K on this tire with very good tread left in undamaged area.

I am at 75K now. I replaced the OEM at 30K. So, I am currently on 35K with this tire. I believe this tire has a little harder silica compound for longer lasting rubber without sacrificing the ride and it certainly corners better than Dunlop. At the dealership when I bought the car, I had a choice between Bridgestone and Dunlop. I thought Dunlop was a better tire due to softer rubber compound.

Tires and break issues are relative to where you live, road conditions and your driving style. Overall, you can expect on the average of 25K for OEM tires.

The Michelin web site says that the Pilot Sport A/S Plus has a directional tread pattern. Is it possible that when you have the tires rotated every 5000 miles that the shop moves the tires to the opposite side of the vehicle thus reversing the rotation of the wheel? Just a thought. I hope you get it resolved. I will soon have to replace the tires on my 07 LS460 and was planning on using the Pilot Sports.

• 3 weeks later...

If your tires are wearing at their outer edges, then they are most certainly under pressurized. I would increase fill pressure as long as you do not exceed the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire.

I switched to Primacy MXM4 tires and have gotten much better ride and wear off of them. Over 30k now. My tire store told me that they have seen a lot of issues with the Pilot A/S and how the wear and the wear patterns.

• 7 months later...

EGad, 15,000 miles expected? Or is that just on the Hybred ? I was going to post here on my tire probelm GRRR, but saw this thread. A couple of years ago I posted my great buy with Hankook. $600. and they had a good review from Tire Rack. The OEM tires,Dunlop,made it to almost the exact same miles before they wore out. Well 25,000 miles later the Hankook are shot also. A very good wear pattern and I like the tires. Quiet and good ride and handeling for this type of barge. So I called Hankook and they said take proof of the 7500 rotation etc to your tire dealer. Uh, I never in my life spent that kinda time in a stinky tire shop. Plus the charge of course. So I didn't rotate them on schedule and some other stuff and was told basiclly to go away. $200 a year is better then $400 a year for tires so I don't get mad I get even so I'm here. squealing like a stuck pig that I am. This morning I called tire rack and bought new tires. Continetal had good reviews and a good price. Extreme Contact DWS. Dept of water sewage I think. $800 that's $200 more then the Handjob. Walmart puts them on for $5.00 a tire. Heh,heh heh, These puppies have a 5000 tread wear warranty and I am going to follow instructions like I was convict rooming with Bubba.

These puppies have a 5000 tread wear warranty and I am going to follow instructions like I was convict rooming with Bubba.

Great post, Archie! I'd recommend sleeping on your back while you're in the Big House.

I drove to the Dealer today to see what the deal is with rapid tire wear. I expected nothing but baloney from these guys and they more then met my expectations."Ya got soft rubber tires, bud",I'm told. I came back with a quick comment that I check all my new tires with a Duraometer and the tires came in at the 85 percental, they had a 50,000 mile guarantee ya ya ya. and they should not have had rapid wear.ya da ya da ya da. By this time his eyes are bugged out and he's looking for back up. I just made all this stuff up but it impressed me that I was still good talking to the car guys. I bought a funeral policy last year from one guy who is now selling their cars as a back up job, the ecomony and all you know. So the back up runner shows up and changed to subject to how they changed all the valve springs in my car for free and it took 13 hours and and and. Gave me free oil and even washed the car. .He said that was the dirtest car he had every seen. Uh, pidgeon problem in the hood.. I changed the subject. Found out they extended the warranty to 100K. Hmmm, I bet that was the same warrranty I had om my Hankook tires. LOL on collecting. The conversation finished with the LS 460 had no probelm but the GL and some others did. He punched my TS card from my Army days and that was that. We got mugged 3 times trying to leave the lot by guys in red jackets trying to sell girl scout cookies. I'm still trying to get a handel on this, so tomorrow I'll call HQ. Last time it was on seat belt failure. That's a whole new story.

• 1 month later...

What mileage should I expect on Michelin pilot MXM4 ? Also, What would be the best tire replacement for primarily (>98%) interstate driving in southern Ohio and Kentucky ? Thanks all.

• 2 months later...

I just happened on to this thread while looking for ideas for new tires for my 08 LS460. The original Turanzas were replaced at 21,000 miles with a set of Continental DWS tires (55,000 rating) for which I had great hopes. Good ride, great adhesion, all around excellent. However, the Continentals now have 20,000 on them, and it's obvious they will have to be replaced within the next 4-5000 miles. They show center wear, indicating over-inflation, but have been meticulously maintained at the mfg recommended 33 psi. The alighment as been checked by the best. The car is not driven hard.

Is there any tire that will have reasonable life on an LS460? Or is it just the nature of the beast? Frankly, $1000 bucks worth of tires every 20,000 miles is getting old! :(

• 1 year later...

Guys, it's physics. Heavy, but responsive, and high torque/h.p. equals rubber on road. I have another brand of car about the same weight with more horsies, and I don't drive like a crazy person, but I replace rear tires every 10,000 miles or so, and not voluntarily. The fronts last longer but not much. If you can get 20K to 30K, you are doing good with a car this big and powerful.

• 3 years later...

Our 2011 LS 460 experienced the same inner wear issue that lots of others have reported. All four tires were replaced at 26,000 miles. When we asked about the unusual wear pattern the dealer said: They all do that.  Really? Doesn't this indicate the tire is not sitting on the ground properly?  When we asked for the mileage rating we were told the tires the dealer used were not rated for a specific mileage. Again, really?  I've bought tires for 40+ years and never heard of this. I cannot imagine a fine Japanese engineer setting up a car to run on the inside tread. Any observations?

• 1 year later...

Also experiencing excessive Wear on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 PlusVehicle:  2007 Lexus IS250 RWD, mileage: 72,388. Experiencing excessive wear on rear Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus 255/40R18 95Y SL BSW tires purchased in January 2019. This is even wear taking place equally on both sides. I monitor tire pressure regularly, don’t drive aggressively and struts are in good shape, so it is not a neglect issue.  In monitoring thread wear noticed that after driving 3,756 miles the thread depth is down from 10 32nds when new to 8 32nds.  This means 1,878 miles for 1 32nd, which in turn means the tires may reach 3 32nds in just 9,390 miles. My previous Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 255/40ZR-18 95Y BSW tires purchased in 2012 lasted 35,800 miles, but their rubber composition what a bit harder. The 2019 tires ride very well and the rubber composition seems softer and closer to a summer type tire.  Not too happy with the situation.  May decide not to replace with Michelins.

• 6 months later...

I have A 2014 GS350h. Rear tyres wearing out at 5000 miles. any ideas?

I have been through 2 sets of Premium Bridgestones and a set of budget tyres in 16K miles. Allignment has been done 3 times and by different garages. All this in 8 months!!!

I'm in a 2002 GS300 and I've been having the same problem two set of tires in less than 18 months. Wear on the inside each time. Only in the rear. Getting alignments didnt help. I was told my calibers were worn or bent and needed replacing. I didnt fall for that with Firestone. This seems to be a big problem with lexus. If anyone finds the true problem please post.