Transmission Service Question

HRP

2002 base LS430 purchased new Labor Day 2002. Now with 105K on her. Other than checking the fluid levels, there has been no other transmission service performed. The owner's manual goes up to only 125k.

Car has only been driven normally. Does it need additional tranmission servicing or fluid change, etc?

Dealership wants $200+ for fluid change. What does it really need. Still drives like new without any tranny problems or symptoms. I am concerned about condensation in the tranny.

Comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,

HRP

Posted on Club Lexus also

Hi,

I'm not too sure about the later LS models as many of the modern versions have "sealed for life' transmissions so require no servicing but earlier models did require a fluid change at 60,000 miles and filter change around 100,000 miles.

However looking at the exploded diagram there is a drain plug on the transmission sump which would indicate a fluid change may be required as part of servicing requirements

Does it mention any servicing requirements in your service booklet? Does your Lexus dealer recommend any transmission servicing?

A good indication is to pull the dip stick and then check the color of the transmission fluid,it should be cherry red,if it looks brown and /or smells burnt replace it.

It is also a good idea to replace the transmission filter at the same time,this requires removal of the sump pan so the magnets in there can be cleaned of any collected swarf at the same time.

Although for a 1994 model the tutorials below may help in your decision.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/

i bought mine with 107K miles on it and the rule of thumb is to let it be. from my previous experiences, if the tranny fluid is not changed within certain periods of time and then you change it at 100k, tranny dies.

so i let mine be, sold the car with 180k miles and it is going strong still. my advice, dont touch it or you can open a whole new can of worms