98 Es300 Car Stereo Troubleshoot

100MPH

I am trying to install an aftermarket stereo on my 98 ES300. I was told it should be relatively simple, and purchased the wiring harness and dash mounting kit. I got to the wiring part and was faced with my first dilema. The wiring harness provided only used on of the remaining connectors. I was unsure if that meant I needed to cut off the remaining connector and manually wire the remaining connections. I wasn't able to get any power to the new radio using just the wiring harness connections. I decided to put things back till I could figure things out. I put back the factory radio together, but now I can't get any power to radio at all. I have checked the fuses, all seem ok. Any help would really be appreciated.

I am trying to install an aftermarket stereo on my 98 ES300. I was told it should be relatively simple, and purchased the wiring harness and dash mounting kit. I got to the wiring part and was faced with my first dilema. The wiring harness provided only used on of the remaining connectors. I was unsure if that meant I needed to cut off the remaining connector and manually wire the remaining connections. I wasn't able to get any power to the new radio using just the wiring harness connections. I decided to put things back till I could figure things out. I put back the factory radio together, but now I can't get any power to radio at all. I have checked the fuses, all seem ok. Any help would really be appreciated.

Welcome to LOC! :cheers:

Well BUD...as my father always told me...it was working before you started !Removed! around with it! You said you have checked all of the fuses? Have you checked all of your connections? Good Luck...someone will pop in and help you out!

The connections look good, the clock and climate control work fine it's just the radio that isn't getting power.

Are you sure you have the right harness for the right radio, i.e. Sony, Nakamichi?

The connections look good, the clock and climate control work fine it's just the radio that isn't getting power.

Are you sure you have the right harness for the right radio, i.e. Sony, Nakamichi?

When I bought the radio, they looked it up and gave it to me. I looked online and it was the only one I could find.

Should I completely bypass the factory installed Phone, Amp, CD Changer and Junction Box (splits supplied power to Amp and CD)? That would leave me with +B, ACC, and (combined GRND [plus the speaker/sub woofer] wires; which I would then just directly hook up to my new head unit. I wouldn't be using the wiring harness, and I would be have to cut a lot of the factory connectors.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Did you ever find out the answer to your dilemma? I have a 97 es300 that I'm installing a new Pioneer head unit, since the lcd went out on the original unit. I wanted to keep the rest of the system original, and use the existing amplifier, so I bought the wiring kit to connect it to the new unit with RCA jacks. The unit powers up fine, but the amplifier does not. Apparently, there must be a trigger wire in the original plug that activates the amp. I'd love to contact that wire to the switched output wire from my stereo, but there is no mention anywhere of what that wire looks like. Any Ideas?