Remote Start?

MrMagoo

Hi all. Newbie with an old (I think) question. I have an RX350, push button start, with a remote start that stinks. Hard to get the sequence timed right to start, only runs for 10 mins, shuts off when door is opened, and most annoying is the 30 ft range. I was wondering if anyone has had an aftermarket remote start installed or if it is even possible. If so, what brand did you use? TIA. This remote start is the worst feature on a 45K dollar vehicle I have seen. Really bothers me. Help!!

I agree completetly. I have seen aftermarket systems that work from an iPhone, and assumed that is what I would be getting. Living in Minnesota, I do not want to walk out to the car in order to warm up the car - that defeats the whole purpose of the remote start. Key fob remote start = gig disappointment!!

• 4 weeks later...

Not one of the factory remote starts that I have used work as well as the after market ones. My RX 350 came equipped with the factory remote start and I replaced with an Astrostart brand. Now it works like it should and I can start it from my smart phone.

Not one of the factory remote starts that I have used work as well as the after market ones. My RX 350 came equipped with the factory remote start and I replaced with an Astrostart brand. Now it works like it should and I can start it from my smart phone.

Visit the Facebook page of the vendor before you make your purchase. Read ALL of the comments. Then make your decision. Also speak to your Lexus service advisor for advice. They may (or may not) have some advice on a local firm that installs remote starts.

I had the Viper Smart Start in our two cars. The Viper is still in the Nissan, but I had it removed from the RX. They could never get it to work. Let me take that back, it worked a couple of times and I proceeded to pay for it. Then it failed miserably and I asked that it be removed.

Please do your homework before proceeding. Look for one that has some sort of feedback. Knowing whether the car is running is helpful. I believe the Drone Mobile has many GPS features you might find useful or not. Also make sure they are not going to charge you if the try to install it and it doesn't work.

When they work, they're great. Chevy and OnStar have a great factory installed remote start/diagnostics complete with the car statistics emailed to you.

Realize too, some will have a monthly/yearly fee for the service. Figure that into your budget in addition to the installation cost.

Good luck,

Hi all. Newbie with an old (I think) question. I have an RX350, push button start, with a remote start that stinks. Hard to get the sequence timed right to start, only runs for 10 mins, shuts off when door is opened, and most annoying is the 30 ft range. I was wondering if anyone has had an aftermarket remote start installed or if it is even possible. If so, what brand did you use? TIA. This remote start is the worst feature on a 45K dollar vehicle I have seen. Really bothers me. Help!!

I was able to get my Lexus dealer to remove the dealer remote start feature for free and refund me $375. (Key item in your argument, "I believe that this 'remote start' was misrepresented to me at the time of sale, in that it does not perform at the range of all other 'remote' starters".)

I then had a local aftermarket installer install and Astrostart 5224. It works very well. 1 mile line-of sight range. Still kills the engine when you grab the handle--I'm told that there is no way around this because of the smartkey/pushbutton start. I don't find it that annoying so I am not complaining. The remote lock/unlock and tailgate lift all work as well. I paid ~$700 including 2 two-way transmitters.

I was able to get my Lexus dealer to remove the dealer remote start feature for free and refund me $375. (Key item in your argument, "I believe that this 'remote start' was misrepresented to me at the time of sale, in that it does not perform at the range of all other 'remote' starters".)

I then had a local aftermarket installer install and Astrostart 5224. It works very well. 1 mile line-of sight range. Still kills the engine when you grab the handle--I'm told that there is no way around this because of the smartkey/pushbutton start. I don't find it that annoying so I am not complaining. The remote lock/unlock and tailgate lift all work as well. I paid ~$700 including 2 two-way transmitters.

Here is how the Viper Smart Start works in my wife's Nissan. She can start her car from anywhere if she has cell phone service or a WiFi connection. However, no feedback to know if the car started or not. She does get a message the command was received by car. If the command received, good bet car is running. Runs for 10 minutes. If she has the fob on her person she can open door and get in and car continues to run. She has 10 seconds to push the start button twice and car continues to run and good to go. If she touches the brake pedal before touching the start button twice, the engine dies. I believe my friend's Chevy Equinox works the same way. Please note, all Viper, Drone, OnStar remote starts require an annual fee for the service.

Lexus could learn from the others regarding how the car continues to run if you have the key fob. Killing the engine when you open the door is being protective, but could be better.