P0354 - How To Replace Ignition Coil. Rx350

I have had the CEL and VSC lights come up a few times on my Wife's RX350 a few times. The first time I took it to the stealer, and they charged me $80 to clear it and tell me that it wasn't covered under engine warranty, and sometimes they just pop up for no reason.

So this time I used a reader ( available for $80 ) and read code P0354, Ign coil D. With a little googling, I found that D is the front center coil.

Ordered coil online for $45.

Now the best part, the how to:

1) Pop hood and remove engine cover. You simply grab on to it and pull it up. It just pops off.

2) Remove new part from box, so you know what you're looking for.

3) Locate problem coil.

4) Use 10mm socket to remove the only bolt on the coil.

5) remove wiring connection.

6) replace with new part.

001-4.jpg

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread. Just wanted to join and chime in on this.

I was having the same issues as op and found different scenarios on the internet regarding fixes. This was probably the best described effort (especially with the pic...which was a huge help in doing this fix). Thanks a ton to the op!

So...for anyone else who might stumble across this with similar problems...

2007 Lexus RX-350

Symptom: Check Engine and VSC lights lit up (constant). First noticed that there was an odd shaking of the car when driving 60-70 mph. No other problems upon first noticing this shaking. After driving the car for a day or so, started noticing the engine a little shaky on starting and the shaking was starting to appear a little more frequently at lower speeds. Also noticed that immediately after the shaking ended, the Check Engine light would start blinking (I'm guessing it was registering a new exception being thrown from the computer).

Fix: Amazon... Beck Arnley 178-8311 Direct Ignition Coil (I was pleasantly surprised to find that when the part arrived, it was OEM...or at least seemed to be, due to the Toyota stamping). The part was extremely easy to remove and replace...maybe with the exception of the connection cable, which clicks onto the ignition coil. I needed a vice clamp to get it to release from the old coil...but once you put enough pressure on it, it releases and slides off easily. After that, just simply unscrew the bolt with the aforementioned 10 mm socket and all is good.

• 4 years later...

I had a similar P0353 error and also experienced a rough engine at various speeds. Mine is a 2007 RX350. The issue was an ignition coil in the middle-rear bank of cylinders. This area is VERY hard to get at and several threads helped me complete the job. You have to remove the intake manifold to get to the rear bank of coils. Once that is done, replacing the coil takes about 2 minutes. The worst part of the job was removing the left (from from of vehicle) rear bracket bolt that holds the back of the manifold. Who ever put this bolt in place ???? UGH. The key to removing it ... and getting room to remove it ... is to remove the wiper assembly and front cowl tray. That adds another hour to the job, but allowed enough room to get to that dreaded bolt. By the way, I never replaced that bolt when I put things back together, as it does not really seem to add much of anything to the manifold, which is held tight with 6 main bolts. Anyway, the job is done, computer reset and I hope this fixes the issues.