The G Man

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • First Name:Mike
  • Model: RX450h
  • Year: 2011

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

I dont think that was condescending at all, I did say "WE" and not "YOU".

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 LEX-SV

LEX-SV

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • First Name:St.
  • Model: IS350
  • Year: 2007

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

The amusing condescending thread or just read the owners manual for fuel requirement, whatever is easier. We know which one is more useful.

#48 4 the dogs

4 the dogs

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • First Name:don
  • Model: rx350

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

with gas now going higher and higher and the 2012 uses the lower grade gas can the 2011 RX 350 be adjusted to use it. it has to be something simple they did not scrap the enigine.

also at the last car show we went to the leather seats in every lexus took on the dye off the blue jeans and every seat had been stained any one getting this problem/ think the leather is much cheaper than what I had in the last one.

#49 BadBrad

BadBrad

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Model: 2010 RX350

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Have now used 87 octane in the 2010 for 30,000 miles. No pinging and no problem. Owner's manual recommends higher octane for best performance (if you really feel the need to 5 more horsepower). Owner's manual also says can use 87 octane if that is all that is available.

Blue die from jeans can be removed with leather cleaners.

#50 2011RX350

2011RX350

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • Model: RX350

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

running lower octane gasoline is not a problem unless you miss the 10-20 HP or so you lose due to the engine mngmt system tuning out the predetonations. If you are doing a driver's ed or NASCAR event at a racetrack in 110F heat, by all means, use 93 or 94 octane, or higher. If you are just driving around like most of us do most of the time, who cares about the lose of 20HP at high engine loads and high ambient temperatures? Y'all need to use your left brain to think about this...

#51 LEX-SV

LEX-SV

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Drivers ed, NASCAR event in 110 degrees and use of left brain in discussion of recommended gasoline in RX thread, like wow...

#52 NCRon

NCRon

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Model: 2013 RX 350

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Many dealerships advise people to use regular unlead when purchasing a new car strictly as a selling point when in fact many cars call for premium fuel! When i got 2011 rx 350 the salesman told me to use regular unlead. I thought engine was noisy or i was crazy but went online to see many with same complaint. Investigated my owners manual to find that premium fuel (octane 91 or higher) is strongly recommended and regular unlead (octane 87)will cause knocking noise and engine damage!

My daughter drives an 2008 mazda 3 and manual clearly states that premium fuel is recommended. Switched to premium and car runs smoother...big difference!
everything has a price.

My 2005 RX 330 recommended premium but said regular could be used if the owner desired. After a few years I switched to regular and had no problems by the time I had reached 85K miles and traded it in for a 2013 RX 350. Regular is the recommended fuel for the 2013.

#53 Jim7489

Jim7489

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Year: 2010

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

Good information in this post... think I might try a lower Octane. The difference between regular and premium is 24 cents a gallon here in upstate NY. I just don't like giving it to them.

#54 Paul A.

Paul A.

Club Manager

• Management
  • 2,755 posts
  • First Name:Paul
  • Model: RX350-ES350
  • Year: 2013

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

I've always wanted to say this and be able to really mean it.......this is not rocket science!!

This topic has been the root of many robust discussions over the years. And I do mean years. No one will ever convince the other of their belief, but people do learn a great deal about fuels, combustion, power transfer from octane and so on. My caution, if you wish to maintain your warranty, is to simply follow your owners manual.

p.s. The guidlines of the LOC specify discussions that are without derogatory language, ethnic slurs, inflamatory language or profanity. Please read the guidlines if you have questions.

Paul

#55 Jim7489

Jim7489

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Year: 2010

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Premium is 30 cents a gallon higher in upstate NY.I hate paying so much for so little.

#56 LEX-SV

LEX-SV

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

20 cents uplift for premium usuually around here.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have